Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 tailpipes fitting

Dhalsu

Hi guys
I currently have round quad style tailpipes on my 58 plate 997 tutbo and want to buy some standard rectangle tailpipes (oem) to return it back to normal.

They appear to be clamp style.
Anyone know how the old ones come off / new ones go on?
Would I have to remove the rear bumper ?
Cheers

You'll probably find them very hard to remove unless you've access to a ramp and an angle grinder for the bolts.
Best bet is to speak to a good indie, should be 0.5 to 1 hr labour I think.

When I removed mine, I spent a long time with penetrating oil and a six sided socket gently tightening and loosening to break the rust in the bolt thread. Eventually both were lose enough to remove the bolt but many a time it felt as though the bolt was going to shear off ! I removed the bumper to give room to twist the trim to aid removal as after 8 years road dirt and salt they were stuck solid. A piece of oak and dead blow hammer ultimately did the job.
From memory the captive nut is welded in place and could probably be ground off if the bolt shears, once the trim is removed and replace with nut and bolt to refit.......I have a pair in good usable condition with the clamp bolts intact if they are any good to you? :?:

When I removed the original bolts from my 06 C2S, I soaked the bolts in WD40 for 24hrs... to no avail. In the end I gave them a little extra force and the very corroded bolt just sheared off. This wasn't really an issue, as the bolt was soo corroded there is no way it would have been usable for a reattchment. It's also a fairly standard bolt available from any hardware store. The real fun starts when you want to get the tailpipes off the exhaust pipes...

This was all on a C2S, where i imagine the tailpipes are more accessible than a turbo!

OP what are you current ones like in terms of condition? If they would fit my 997.2 C2s I might have team off you - mine are looking a little past their best.

160dmb said:
OP what are you current ones like in terms of condition? If they would fit my 997.2 C2s I might have team off you - mine are looking a little past their best.

Yes they are very very clean. Pm me your details and I will send some pics

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back