Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Traction control or lack off

coullstar said:
Thanks that's good to hear from someone that has experience. Yeah I'm after another 911, the boxster was ace but really need a 4 seater as I'll have to sell the Corrado so needs to take as many people.

Agree the boxster was brilliant in the dry.

TC and LSD in my '97 C2.
The light in the dash flashes occasionally in the wet when pushing on / provoking it.
TC can be turned off - but not tried it off yet!

Young lad at work recently bought a sporty mid engine car, he saw one he liked, I advised him to get the next model year which came with stability but he was so excited he bought it anyway, fast forward 2 months and he was coming into work telling all his opposite lock stories and how amazingly well the car handled until the day he didn't turn up after spinning it on a gentle curve and going up a bank backwards. He doesn't understand how it happened!

That's the thing about stability, it saves you during those "don't know what happened" moments LOL. I'm glad my Turbo has it and it's probably why the Insurance is so cheap!!

Mac

I have a 99 996 with no traction control. At one point I swerved to avoid hitting a wooden box on the highway and ended up spining out. This happened while a 997 Carrera and a 991 Turbo were in front of me and also swerved around the object. They told me both of their cars had PSM kick in.

I believe I would not have spun out if I had TC or PSM. Now I value the use of TC and PSM and although I installed an aftermarket LSD in my car I still think ill get one with either PSM or TC in my next Porsche purchase since I only track my car 4 or 5 times a year.

Is the TC not really basic though? i.e. the type that just cuts power. So nowhere near as useful as PSM and a decent driver can easily beat it.

The PSM is worth having, but MY 98 99 C2 don't have that option...

Its a trade off when buying - early 3.4 c2 with cable throttle and no PSM VS later car (or c4) with PSM safety net but electronic throttle.

Yep that's what Im going through. I was really lucky not to be hurt and Im not saying having TC would have prevented the accident however I do believe it would have helped for sure.

With a young family it is playing on my mind that Id like that option or safety net with the ability to switch off if required.

PSM does make sense IMO, Its one of those things that helps us average drivers from spearing off into the tree in situations like the one described above. That more where Im looking at it really but ultimately it wont stop me buying the right car if it came up.

I've a 97 C2 with TC and LSD.

The TC is very agricultural and when it does kick in it's very abrupt. That said, I rarely get the light flashing on and the car gets an absolute beasting every time I drive it. I leave it switched on as a safety net but haven't needed it in 2 years.

I've had it on track in the wet and it was supreme, so much traction I was overtaking M3s because they couldn't get the power down while the traction control didn't even come on in my C2 and I drove straight past.

The only time I've had any issue has been with really aggressive weight transfer. I'd say get the C2 whether it has TC or not, you need to be driving like a tool to un-stick it.

This video was posted by someone else on here, although I can't remember who unfortunately. So credit to the original poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYak4S2JakY

Fast forward to around 6 minutes to see PSM in action.

I'm looking for a 996 at the moment as well. And apart from a manual gearbox, hard or targa top, PSM is the only other 'must have' for me.

I had a bit of a similar 'moment' to the guy in the video and was grateful for the safety net the system provides.

Although if you find a non-PSM car, I do remember reading about an aftermarket racelogic traction control system you can fit. They stopped making them in around 2015, but they may still exist on ebay.

It's cruder than PSM in that it doesn't brake individual wheels, etc. But I read good things about it.

Race logic did have a tc system which cut the engine, which sounds similar to the tc on the early 996.1 cars. I considered this many years ago to fit to a lotus.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back