Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel Consumption - 997.1 Turbo

JP_Turbo

Hi Guys,

I know I will probably get burnt with comments about "oh you bought a turbo why are you worrying about the MPG" But coming from a 6.2 V8 C63 AMG and an A45 AMG I am quiet confused to how poor the economy is around town in the Turbo.

I am (with reseting the trip on the PCM) getting roughly 12.0 MPG around town (central London) on short journeys. Sometimes even less.

I have a Tiptronic S

Is this normal? This is not even reaching mid way on the boost gauge on a sprint?

My tyre pressure is at 34 psi on the front and 37 psi (in cold) on the rears. The car has been serviced in the last 4000 or so miles. No problems with her what so ever...

Thanks in Advance

I've had 3 weeks in mine...
I get around 15-18 round town
28-32 on motorway

My old RS6 was a touch worse and the GTR same round town but only mid 20's on mway

Gen 2 pdk

Easto said:
28-32 on motorway

My old RS6 was a touch worse and the GTR same round town but only mid 20's on mway

Gen 2 pdk

I've had mine 3 weeks. And honestly put around £350 petrol in the tank. Its more of an annoyance than anything.

Mine is Gen 1 though I have read that the PDK box is slightly better on consumption

I have a 997.1 C2S and I get usually around 12-14mpg in central London, and around 23-25 once I am on the motorway, my current average is around 16mpg

I think on shorter trips, particular a lot of stop and go, mpg drops simply because you are not moving a lot while the engine is running (if that makes sense)

From memory, I think the pressures should be 2.3 bar front/ 2.7 bar rear. I would say your tyre pressures are a little soft.
My mpg before being mapped was somewhere around the 21mpg mark town driving, with 28mpg motorway.
Since being mapped, I now get 26mpg around town and 32 ish motorway.

C63_2_4S said:
Easto said:
28-32 on motorway

Gen 2 pdk

I've had mine 3 weeks. And honestly put around £350 petrol in the tank. Its more of an annoyance than anything.

Mine is Gen 1 though I have read that the PDK box is slightly better on consumption

How many miles have you done in the past 3 weeks? 12MPG does sound low, unless your racing between traffic lights.....lol

997.2 turbos 20% more efficient due to DFI engine

Bikeracer1098 said:
C63_2_4S said:
Easto said:
28-32 on motorway

Gen 2 pdk

How many miles have you done in the past 3 weeks? 12MPG does sound low, unless your racing between traffic lights.....lol

Currently 600 miles.

260 of them were on the motorway drive home when I picked her up...

I use mine as a daily. Over 18,000 miles since May 2016 and mine averages 27.5mpg on my daily commute. Thats basically a couple of miles driving out of my town, then a bendy B road for around 20 miles or so where if its clear I can give it some stick. Then its another 10 or 15 miles of cruising at between 30 and 60 depending upon traffic.

I actually drove to Newcastle and back the other day which was a 500 mile round trip and it averaged 30mpg which was pretty much just cruising all the way there at 85/90.

Mines a manual though and I pretty much only ever fill up with Tesco 99.

C63_2_4S said:
Bikeracer1098 said:
C63_2_4S said:
Easto said:
28-32 on motorway

Gen 2 pdk

Currently 600 miles.

That's roughly £0.58 pence per mile, averaging around 11MPG over the 600miles.

The turbo should be running in fresh air compared with the C63.

Something's nit right, need to get it checked over, it sounds like more than just the tyre pressures.

What MPG were you getting from the C63?

Been pissed off with my new M4 competition pack only averaging 22MPG commuting to work, used to get better economy out of my E46 M3 while being ragged along the some AMG mercs. Managed 27MPG and 32MPG while cruising on the motorway, even though the official figures quote 34MPG

Bikeracer1098 said:
C63_2_4S said:
Bikeracer1098 said:
C63_2_4S said:
Easto said:
28-32 on motorway

Gen 2 pdk

Currently 600 miles.

That's roughly £0.58 pence per mile, averaging around 11MPG over the 600miles.

The turbo should be running in fresh air compared with the C63.

Something's nit right, need to get it checked over, it sounds like more than just the tyre pressures.

Is it manual or tip?

Its a Tip. I thought so or I just have a heavy foot... :D

I had the car checled out at Ninemiesters in Warrington before I bought it and nothing was flagged up about anything running rich or hindering the engine/turbo's :?

I was geting around 9.8MPG with the C63 (IIRC) It was around 2 years ago so I could be wrong...

May be worth calling Ken at 9e for a chat, he's got a wealth of knowledge on these engines and the problematic areas such as boost leaks etc which may have an impact on economy.

Bikeracer1098 said:
May be worth calling Ken at 9e for a chat, he's got a wealth of knowledge on these engines and the problematic areas such as boost leaks etc which may have an impact on economy.

Will do. Do you mean Nine Excellence?

C63_2_4S said:
Bikeracer1098 said:

Will do. Do you mean Nine Excellence?

Yes :thumb:

He does.

Mpg does sound low. When I first got mine it was stubbornly on 19mpg , rising to 22 if driven carefully. At the time I thought this was just how they are. About a month later CEL flashed up, lambda aged fault on no.2 bank. I changed both (post cat) and it's now 27 average, 31 if driven steady. Check your lambdas

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back