Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short shift.

g911omr

I'm sure this will have been discussed plenty in the past...
Anyway my C2 has a 997 short shift kit fitted and while it is nice smooth it does make the change a bit stiffer than standard.
I'm wondering if there is a way of lengthening it slightly or am I just better off returning it to standard?
All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Mark

g911omr said:
I'm sure this will have been discussed plenty in the past...
Anyway my C2 has a 997 short shift kit fitted and while it is nice smooth it does make the change a bit stiffer than standard.
I'm wondering if there is a way of lengthening it slightly or am I just better off returning it to standard?
All thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Mark

I am just in the process of having the shifter changed on my 996T as I found the original 996 shifter throw a little long and sloppy (see here : http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=121165). I was advised by my Indy the 997 gt3 shifter is a good compromise as it's shortens the throw by circa 15% over standard however still makes for a smooth (easy to live with) but precise gear change.

I'm yet to experience as don't pick the car up until Friday but this could be an option for you providing this can be fitted to 996 Carrera. I'm not sure on this bit but sure someone will be along shortly.
The part is £139 from porsche I think.

:thumb:

Thanks. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. The shift on mine is very precise and clicks into gear nicely. It's just a bit short and feels a bit tight.

I agree that the 997 GT3 shifter is the way to go 15% shorter than stock has metal bearings that give the bolt action gear change that everyone likes , it doesnt have the sideways slop the cheapys have and the cold gear changes are better than the cheapy SSK I am just about to push the button on one after lots of research , the Porsche SSK is not much better than the cheapy SSK plastic bearings and a 35% shorter than stock shift. the gt3 one is only £20 more so a no brainer for me. currently I have a design 911 SSK fitted and I dont like the really short throw the slop and I have no confidence that I have got it in the correct gear. :thumb:

Well.... I've persevered and I just can't get on with the short shift fitted to my C2. Does anyone have a standard part that I could fit?

Cheers

g911omr said:
Well.... I've persevered and I just can't get on with the short shift fitted to my C2. Does anyone have a standard part that I could fit?

Cheers

Have you checked the cable adjustment? :dont know:

I haven't checked. It seems to work ok apart from it is very short and quite stiff. 2 other cars I drove before this one had SS kits fitted and were just the same.

It depends on which SSK was fitted. My indy does not recommend the GT3 shifter for 996. His only recommendation is for the 997 SSK.

You can always ask at scrap yards if they have a standard shifter but many find it has too much throw and is like stirring porridge.

cheshire911 said:
It depends on which SSK was fitted. My indy does not recommend the GT3 shifter for 996. His only recommendation is for the 997 SSK.

You can always ask at scrap yards if they have a standard shifter but many find it has too much throw and is like stirring porridge.

Thanks.
My indy also advised removing it. Is the standard 997 shift suitable?

Use a standard 997 shifter. - This item is 15% shorter than the standard 996 shifter.

Short shifts are circa 40% shorter.

In my experience all of the short shifts are garbage, they are stiff, notchy and not precise, as such although the throw is shorter, it actually takes longer to change gear, which is a PITA particularly on track.

I believe the standard 997 shifter was fitted to the GT3 up to 2009. From 2010 the same shifter has an upgrade to metal bushes, which I seriously doubt that on a back to back drive anyone could tell the difference. (Neither of these are referred to as an SSK)

The standard 997 is a huge improvement over the 996 and is substantially cheaper than the 2010 GT3.

crash7 said:
Use a standard 997 shifter. - This item is 15% shorter than the standard 996 shifter.

Short shifts are circa 40% shorter.

In my experience all of the short shifts are garbage, they are stiff, notchy and not precise, as such although the throw is shorter, it actually takes longer to change gear, which is a PITA particularly on track.

I believe the standard 997 shifter was fitted to the GT3 up to 2009. From 2010 the same shifter has an upgrade to metal bushes, which I seriously doubt that on a back to back drive anyone could tell the difference. (Neither of these are referred to as an SSK)

The standard 997 is a huge improvement over the 996 and is substantially cheaper than the 2010 GT3.

Thanks.
You're right. Changing gear is actually a slower process. I doubt whether it does the gearbox a whole lot of good either.
I'll see if I can find a S/H 997 shifter.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back