Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 GTS!

Almost up to 1000 miles and I am beginning to feel like I am getting the measure of the GTS. That's over town, motorway and some nice moorlands roads to open it up a bit so some really varied drives.

Concerns about the ride are disappearing as the miles go on. Yes it is firm, but it is also poised, balanced and outrageously keen to attack bends in a way my 991.1 C4s never was. It feels hunkered down and ready for action. So much more purposeful and eager than the C4s was. Is the RWS contributing to that? No idea, but I love it!

Do I miss the 3.8? Not really. In a back to back trial the 3.8 would always drown it out and sound better, but for everyday use the extra torque, civility and power are hard to criticise. It is a more subtle and cultured sound than the 3.8. Better no. Worse - probably also no! So just different!

I adore the 18 way Alcantara GTS seats. They are so comfortable as you sink into them and are then gripped beautifully. I can really relax into them as opposed to sitting on them and feeling a bit tense as was the case with the C4s.

I love that I can see the wing when it's up. Childish? Probably! But I dont care. It's just nice! I was really surprised to see it in the first place (about half inch above the bottom of the rear window at motorway speeds) but then it went up even higher when I was really pushing. Fantastic! I never had any idea if it was up or down in the C4s. A mate has a 991.2 C2 and says he cant see his - must be a GTS thing. Yahoo! :thumb:

The PCM is brilliant. The Satnav is so much better and I love having Google traffic. The voice control also works a lot better. Having controls on the wheel is such a nice thing after having the Sports wheel on the 991.1. The Alcantara feels lovely to hold and the heating is subtle but worthwhile. The silver backs are quick easy to scuff though. :?

Axle lift has been fun. I dont need it over your typical speed hump if I slow down, but it is reassuring over sleeping policemen and also on sharp inclines. We have one into the par park at work and I use it for that.

I think the Burmester sounds even better in the 991.2. Maybe its having .FLAC files as a source Vs my old iPod with .ALAC in the 991.1, but everything sounds good. Even what I know are poor recordings. I love having so many options for audio as well. Jukebox, SD cards, Bluetooth, Apple Car play streaming Spotify, DAB for TMS. Awesome!

And it is quick. Very quick. Did I mention it was QUICK!

Fuel economy is definitely up 2-3 mpg up in the 3.8 on my commute. Not a stellar improvement, but I'd take +3 over -3!

Negatives really are few. I'm not really a big fan of black wheels, so for me they are OK. They suit the car and I like the centre locks, but I dont adore them. They are right for the car though. Score draw then.

The 3.0 TT stop start is a real pain. I always try to come to a halt gently and whereas the 991.1 would allow me to glide to a stop, then cut out the .2 chops the motor whilst I am still moving. So I end up 20 meters short and it then restarts as I move up over the final bit. Grrr

I like the new way to select options with the sports dial on the steering wheel. I've set Individual to be PSE on, Wing up (I am a tart) and Stop start off. That suits me perfectly for my 'default' as I get the nice pops and bangs but PDK doesn't hold lower gear too long. A really nice addition to the predefined Normal, Sports and Sports plus.

So what's it like overall? Just what it says on the tin really. A more focused, fun and engaging drive than the C4s which I already adored. Definitely a step towards a GT3 in the way it sits low on the road and just wants to get into bends. It reminds me of my old Caterham in that it just seems to goad you to push harder in the corners. Its kindof says "go on them is that all you'v got" where the c4s used to say "OK, if you insist". A number of poeple have commented on how much more mean it looks. My C4s was pretty. This means business!

Would I prefer the ride to be a little softer? No definitely not if it means a loss of focus and alertness or extra float. Occasionally at low speed you get a hit through the car that feels like it makes the car pogo a bit, but that is by exception and it is worth it. I would say it rides like a sportscar and when taken in that context the ride is hugely impressive. Compare it to a saloon (which you almost could with the C4s) and it looks a bit hard. Best not to drive other cars I feel!

So overall? Pleased. Very pleased

:thumb:

Great write up Weejimmy, although I don't quite have the same car as you I do however agree with plenty of your observations.

Not sure about the PCM though...google maps eh? I'll have another look.

18 way seats. Didn't realise I needed them. But yes it is like sitting in it rather than on it.

The ride in my car is also very firm and also prefer that to wallow so thumbs up too.

Spoiler/wing. :grin:

Lovely car, Porsche seems to have made a real hum dinger in the 991.2
:thumbs:

Did I mention the interior? I ADORE the full GTS interior. Just feels to special and 'together'. Lovely to sit in. :angel:

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Oh ... and the wheels! :thumb:

25.jpg

PS - apologies for the hairy knee in the above!

:thumbs: Looks fab and can't wait till mine arrives, only about 6 weeks to go :D

Weejimmy, that interior looks fantastic.

Now, would you do me a favour and stop posting pictures as it's doing me no good. I've been told that my car is now due to be built in October and is scheduled to leave the factory 23/10. The wait is already getting to me, but seeing all these fantastic cars is driving me over the edge.

Cheers.

The ride on the 19s is really the most tolerable harshness level for me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back