Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche to quit LMP1 racing?

Wow, that's disappointing.....

A real blow to the drivers as well as the fans, electric cars suck as far as I am concerned. The reason the E racing formula is not as popular is that it is simply not got the excitement, history and sheer feel that you get with F1, WEC and the others.

Makes you wonder about the general future of petrol sports cars and how soon before they are priced and legislated out of existence.....we should enjoy while we can. Not sure what it will do to values either....

Damn shame.

Le mans just wont be the same

Combine this with the news that petrol road cars are going to be banned in 2040 . . . . It's been a bit of a depressing week.

Might sniff a little petrol tonight to cheer me up . . . . or heat up a little Castrol R.

I can't imagine Porsche moving away from this. I am hoping it's just political gesturing within the racing world. I was under the impression that there were a number of additional teams due to enter LMP1 and some teams were considering moving from LMP2 to LMP1 due to the restrictions of the LMP2 regs.

Formula E could be more exciting and interesting if it wasn't for the go-kart size tracks and limited race time. They reported that New York was sold out yet on the TV all I saw was empty stands. Maybe no one knew the race had started. In time it could be good but for now it's merely a promotion of concept imho.

markturner1960 said:
Wow, that's disappointing.....

A real blow to the drivers as well as the fans, electric cars suck as far as I am concerned. The reason the E racing formula is not as popular is that it is simply not got the excitement, history and sheer feel that you get with F1, WEC and the others.

Zeb said:
Damn shame.

Le mans just wont be the same

:yeah:

I sincerely hope this isn't true.. why quit early, they've hardly done badly :sad:

Monkeynutz said:
I can't imagine Porsche moving away from this. I am hoping it's just political gesturing within the racing world. I was under the impression that there were a number of additional teams due to enter LMP1 and some teams were considering moving from LMP2 to LMP1 due to the restrictions of the LMP2 regs.

Don't confuse LMP1 with LMP1-H. The new LMP1 class is specifically for independent teams using third party chassis suppliers and crucially without the hybrid powertrains. There is not anyone even sniffing around the top hybrid class before at least 2019, at which point the rules are due to change and everyone will be back to the drawing board and will have to design all new cars.

The issue for Porsche is that they are in a bit of a marketing no-win cul-de-sac at the moment. Lets say that they continued into next year. If they win, the general public will expect it after a consecutive hat trick and they will only have beaten one major opponent. Lose and they boost the marketing prestige of Toyota.

The 919 has been very much mission accomplished and frankly sitting on their laurels and saving the greater part of a quarter of a billion euros or so rather than race next year is an obvious temptation. Especially considering that with only one entrant the LMP1-H class will lose its world championship status, so all they are doing is giving Toyota a free run at a Le Mans overall win (should they decide not to also pull the plug, which frankly you would think that they would).

Meanwhile the WEC has huge interest in the new non-hybrid P1 class and a very strong P2 so that certainly won't die out.

The real question is what next for Porsche. For what they have been spending they could run an F1 engine programme (or could indeed buy a team - Force India is available to anyone prepared to pay Vijay's price any is long overdue a better name), but I don't think that too many think that they will at the moment. Alternatively the IMSA prototype class in the US is going from strength to strength and could be done on a fraction of the WEC budget at the same time as Formula E and an expansion to global GT racing operations.

:?:

Disco said:
Alternatively the IMSA prototype class in the US is going from strength to strength and could be done on a fraction of the WEC budget at the same time as Formula E and an expansion to global GT racing operations.

Hopefully ACO / WEC find a middle ground with IMSA to allow DPi cars to run in P2 - it would be an attractive sportscar option for manufacturers & create an exciting global category i think

aadhay said:
Disco said:
Alternatively the IMSA prototype class in the US is going from strength to strength and could be done on a fraction of the WEC budget at the same time as Formula E and an expansion to global GT racing operations.

Hopefully ACO / WEC find a middle ground with IMSA to allow DPi cars to run in P2 - it would be an attractive sportscar option for manufacturers & create an exciting global category i think

I'd have liked to have seen that, but unfortunately I think that the new non-hybrid privateer P1 class coming in is going to be markedly faster than the DPi cars, and that will torpedo manufacturer interest in taking DPi cars to the WEC as they will not be competing for overall wins?

Speaking as someone who attends both Formula E and Le Mans, I think this is great news.

It means Porsche can compete full-on in the brilliant GTE-Pro class at LM with the 911RSR and add to the growing rosta of works competitors in the electric Formula E races.

So, our beloved 911's regain the Le Mans works focus and the electric focus moves to Formula E - which will surely become a threat to F1 with works entries from Jaguar, Renault, BMW, Mercedes, Audi and now Porsche. As its popularity rises, you'll see bigger and better circuits. It's already great fun - if you actually go and give it a try.

I for one can't wait to see Porsche in Formula E. BTW - Silverstone Classic was fun this weekend.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back