Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre wear on a 997 Turbo

T8

Super Moderator
Just wondering what sort of mileage 997 Turbo owners get out of their tyres. Obviously I do appreciate that this will always vary according to how the car is used so I do expect there too be some variances.

My query is because I'm a bit surprised by my own situation.

I put 4 x Michelin PS2s on my car expecting that the rears would last about 8k and that the fronts would be good for about 16k miles.

My surprise is two-fold in that after 12,317 miles the rears are only just coming down to the 3 mm depth that I'd normally change them at but the front are already down to 4mm.

Overall I'm happy as it will mean that I'll change all four at the same time and get best use out of a fully matched set again but I'm curious to hear whether my wear pattern is typical of the car.

NB: I had the GEO done immediately after the tyres were fitted and always run them at 36/44. A lot of my mileage is done on motorways/autobahns which is probably why the overall wear is far less than on my previous cars which were used a lot more in having fun on UK 'B' roads.

T8 your pressures seem very high, I dropped mine down to 38 rear and 36 front, found that they came up to 37/40 with the temp rise and if it was on twisty bits then came up even more. Biggest gain was ride comfort, a cold 44 psi tyre will probably go up to 48 if it gets well scrubbed.
No harm in experimenting.

After reading my initial post back I'm not sure I made the reasons for my surprise clear so, to summarise ...

Getting 12K+ from the rears seems unexpectedly good. Only getting a little bit more from the fronts was surprisingly poor.

NB: On all four tyres the wear is even across the middle 80% of the tyre. Obviously the edges are chamfered.

Still on my originals after 15K! Though rears are almost gone...

Running 34/40 and wear is pretty even aside from inner edges..

Oh Bridgestones btw.

Thats a loaded question....
As you said it is not exactly something that can be founded, as no two cars/people can truly run this comparison as too many variables.
1/ tyre type,
2/ type pressures,
3/ suspension setup/geo,
4/ when driven (dry only, wet mostly, mostly summer when hotter etc),
5/ weight in the car when drive,
and final the biggest factor
5/ how the car is driven.... one driver can be a cautious driver while another hard core, / one can actually drive and corner the car without too much tyre scrub and heat, while the other is more aggressive in driving, / also a heavy brake user will put heat in the tyres than another gearing down more often.

I for one have owned maybe 50+ vehicles, bought hundreds of tyres over the years but cannot say what or how long has any of them lasted on any particular vehicle, perhaps due to my driving style being somewhat unkind to tyres... :D

I usual buy and rate them by 1/ grip 2/comfort (road noise/harshness etc)
So no help from me sorry
:what:

My tyre pressures are by the book 34F/40R, Michelin Super Sports, rears were down to 3mm and changed at 16,500 miles, fronts are at 5mm with 19,000 miles. All are/were evenly worn, I run non-factory geo' and don't hang around!

I'm very surprised how long the Michelin's have lasted.

I got about 16,000 miles out of a set of new Pirelli P-Zero on my 997 turbo. All 4 tyres were pretty much worn down the same. The inside of the rears were particularly worn.

My driving was mainly 50/50 motorway / twisty B roads.

I replaced with with MP4S`s and the difference in grip was staggering so I am finding I am much more confident with pushing the car harder now, so whether or not I will get as much mileage out of these we will see.

I would also expect to see heavier wear on the front of tip cars as you don't get the same engine braking effect.

I swapped my MPSS after 12k just to swap to the R888's and they have 4-4.5mm across the rears and 5ish on the fronts. Lots of miles and hard driving and even some track action. Very impressed

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep 'em coming.

It does seem to be something specific to do with the 997 Turbo set up as my 996C4 and 996T were both Tiptronic and both 4wd yet both of them went through rears at only half the rate of fronts.

I put the fact that both of them ate rear tyres in 8k miles down to the fact that were both used a lot more on local B roads than the 997T ever has been.

I put a new set of Michelins on at 72372 and had the geo done by Sports & Classic at the same time. The car has just been serviced at OPC Chester with the mileage now at78000 and they reported the front at 4.5 mm and the rears at 5.5 mm.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as you with the fronts wearing quicker...

incidentally, my daily drive is a BMW M135 with MPSS's on, and they didn't even get an advisory when BMW serviced the car a few weeks ago - at 27k!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back