Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

80k or 120k with Hartech

Hmmm

Please ask Hartech for their take on mileage expectancy of main crank bearings, timing chains and guides. I believe with that mileage the bottom end should be refreshed a little and would be false economy not to do it now if they are doing the head work.

Just my 2p

Hartech are most often talked about when remedying scored bores- something which particularly affects the 3.6 m96 engine, but much less often the 3.4. However, when rebuilding the engine Hartech can upgrade the IMS bearing and convert the cylinders/heads to closed deck. The latter two mods are worth doing to the 3.4. It sounds as though "your" car has a head gasket or cracked head problem. If it's the latter it'll be very expensive to sort.

I think you need to know exactly what's being done to understand the benefit. As someone else said, Hartech themselves have said in the past that the main and big end bearings show signs of wear on the 3.4 much above 100k miles.

You need to know whether Hartech are fixing the problem or future-proofing the engine and go from there.

In my experience no 120k mile car is mint. I'd be looking (closely) at the 80k mile car.

Harv said:
Hmmm

Please ask Hartech for their take on mileage expectancy of main crank bearings, timing chains and guides. I believe with that mileage the bottom end should be refreshed a little and would be false economy not to do it now if they are doing the head work.

Just my 2p
it is a long process this buying/sorting a car, but as far I can see it is all good news so far. Report back is 1 new cylinder head required & they must have done some bottom end inspection as they also recommended new crankshaft bearings (which are being done). On top of this all the manifold studs snapped so they have been drilled out & replaced with new.
The only down side of the whole experience for me so far is I will not get the car until winter!!!! Not the end of the world as it was always going to be a sunday/summer keeper.

I'd go with the Hartech for sure. Peace of mind combined with no concern putting the miles on, win-win. Plus, £3k buys you a lot of petrol!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back