Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Zunsport Mesh Grilles for 991.2 GTS

scoot

Hmm. Not very taken with how they fit. Seems like they are wedged in. I can see they will keep stones and debris out, but I suspect they will chaffe paint away where they are prised in as they seem to be held in by friction/pressure.

Don't think they are for me! :?:

weejimmy said:
Hmm. Not very taken with how they fit. Seems like they are wedged in. I can see they will keep stones and debris out, but I suspect they will chaffe paint away where they are prised in as they seem to be held in by friction/pressure.

Love the look, but have similar concerns to you in terms of fit and state of bumper upon removal.

scoot said:
huwcymro said:
scoot said:
I see Zunsport have 991.2 GTS grilles for sales now. So if anyone gets them please let us have your feedback/review as interested in these when I get my car.

https://www.zunsport.com/en/porsche-carrera-991.2-GTS-full-grille-set

Have ordered a complete set for my 991.2 GTS should receive beginning of August.

Look forward to your feedback :thumb:

Mine arrived today, they are held in by clips which you bend outwards behind the lips once in position. the centre ones are held by 2X 2" self tapper screws. Very pleased with the results.

Attachments

• img_8631_419.jpg
    img_8631_419.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 9,062
  • img_8628_743.jpg
    img_8628_743.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 9,062
  • img_8629_196.jpg
    img_8629_196.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 9,062
weejimmy said:

§

Well of course you have only the photos to look at and you are making assumptions without knowing the facts of how these grilles are fitted.

I can speak with more knowledge on this than anyone as my 991.2 GTS was the Donor car, the bodywork is not affected at all by the grilles, there is no way they will take paint off it's just not possible unless you do not follow the fitting instructions, they fit right inside the black trim aperture the fit is made by the clips not by pressure or friction there is zero risk of "chaffing" as there is simply no contact or movement between the grilles and the surrounding painted bodywork of the bumper. The alternative is the potential impact damage to the radiators and the definite fact that the fins on those radiators will get damaged which will happen after just a few hundred miles. Anyway I'm very satisfied with what I have. It didn't cost me anything apart from two trips to Zunsport but I would have gladly paid £200 for them had my car not been the donor car.

huwcymro said:
scoot said:
huwcymro said:
scoot said:
I see Zunsport have 991.2 GTS grilles for sales now. So if anyone gets them please let us have your feedback/review as interested in these when I get my car.

https://www.zunsport.com/en/porsche-carrera-991.2-GTS-full-grille-set

Have ordered a complete set for my 991.2 GTS should receive beginning of August.

Look forward to your feedback :thumb:

Mine arrived today, they are held in by clips which you bend outwards behind the lips once in position. the centre ones are held by 2X 2" self tapper screws. Very pleased with the results.

They look fab :thumbs:

BigCat said:
weejimmy said:

§

Well of course you have only the photos to look at and you are making assumptions without knowing the facts of how these grilles are fitted.

I can speak with more knowledge on this than anyone as my 991.2 GTS was the Donor car, the bodywork is not affected at all by the grilles, there is no way they will take paint off it's just not possible unless you do not follow the fitting instructions, they fit right inside the black trim aperture the fit is made by the clips not by pressure or friction there is zero risk of "chaffing" as there is simply no contact or movement between the grilles and the surrounding painted bodywork of the bumper. The alternative is the potential impact damage to the radiators and the definite fact that the fins on those radiators will get damaged which will happen after just a few hundred miles. Anyway I'm very satisfied with what I have. It didn't cost me anything apart from two trips to Zunsport but I would have gladly paid £200 for them had my car not been the donor car.

Thanks for the details sounds like a good option and really like the finish :thumbs:

They do look good, but bending the clips to hold them in place worries me - not for fitting them as that's straightforward, but are they just as easy to remove? How do you get at the clips to bend them outwards again so the grilles will come off?

I would want to take them off occasionally to clean around the radiators as dust and small particles accumulates and turns into a solid mud like substance which will cause corrosion if not cleaned.

Gorsh said:
They do look good, but bending the clips to hold them in place worries me - not for fitting them as that's straightforward, but are they just as easy to remove? How do you get at the clips to bend them outwards again so the grilles will come off?

I would want to take them off occasionally to clean around the radiators as dust and small particles accumulates and turns into a solid mud like substance which will cause corrosion if not cleaned.

The clips are made from spring steel and you insert a thin screwdriver through the mesh to release the clips which grip around the inside edge of the black trim. Fitting is the reverse process you don't need to bend them far so they return to the same position when they release.
Rather than ask questions here go to Zunsports web site and look at the fitting video which was made when they fitted them to my car as this shows how it's done. They have been on my car for over a month now and 700 miles and nothing has accumulated behind the grilles. If you are concerned then an alternative is to leave out the inner grilles so you can reach in behind, this would be the same as a GT3 which has no mesh on the innermost apertures.

BigCat said:
Gorsh said:

The clips are made from spring steel and you insert a thin screwdriver through the mesh to release the clips which grip around the inside edge of the black trim. Fitting is the reverse process you don't need to bend them far so they return to the same position when they release.
Rather than ask questions here go to Zunsports web site and look at the fitting video which was made when they fitted them to my car as this shows how it's done. They have been on my car for over a month now and 700 miles and nothing has accumulated behind the grilles. If you are concerned then an alternative is to leave out the inner grilles so you can reach in behind, this would be the same as a GT3 which has no mesh on the innermost apertures.

Thanks for your explanation, I will look into them further. I am reassured that they will come off easily and will stand up to removal and refitting a few times. I had a Boxster GTS with the large unprotected intakes and after a summer trip of 2000 miles in Scotland there were a few little road chippings in there (which the grilles would stop) and also enough small bits combined with dust which had become a mud settled all along the bottom edge of the rads - cleaning this out when necessary is why I raised the matter of removing them.

Gorsh said:
BigCat said:
Gorsh said:

Thanks for your explanation, I will look into them further. I am reassured that they will come off easily and will stand up to removal and refitting a few times. I had a Boxster GTS with the large unprotected intakes and after a summer trip of 2000 miles in Scotland there were a few little road chippings in there (which the grilles would stop) and also enough small bits combined with dust which had become a mud settled all along the bottom edge of the rads - cleaning this out when necessary is why I raised the matter of removing them.

I have found that small debris particles like bits of insects just wash out with a jet wash on a light setting, mine have not been off yet to clean behind. The test will be a 700 mile drive to Geneva in a few weeks time. Overall I'm very please with the results and I think it makes the front look "finished"

BigCat said:

Actually it was based on watching their installation video! :dont know:

weejimmy said:
BigCat said:

Actually it was based on watching their installation video! :dont know:

Well photos or watching a video is not quite the same as experiencing the actual fitting. Mine have been on for over a month with no issues and I have removed them and replaced with no scratching of the paintwork. It does suggest in the instructions that you protect the painted areas with masking tape which was done by Zunsport when they fitted mine but I didn't bother when I took them off and replaced them as there is very little risk of that happening if you are careful. As for being wedged in that is simply not true they clip in position. But your choice, for me it's a no brainer to have those grilles in place and protect the radiators from impact damage. Take a look at the fins on your radiators and I guarantee you will find several bent if you have covered even a just a few hundred miles.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back