Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust DB Levels Please

crash7

Imola
Interested to find out from those who have attended trackdays what exhaust setup your car is running, manifold, cats & silcencers.

What your static DB readings were at the prescribed RPM?

Any drive-by DB readings you may have, although appreciate this is more of a lottery given the multitude of contributing factors.

In addition if you do not trackday, but have conducted a static db test on your exhaust at approximately 0.5m at 4500 RPM, your findings would also be welcomed.

Cheers :thumb:

My 997.1 Topgear valved exhaust with 200cell big bore cats and stainless X51 headers was DB metered at 133.9db on loud and 114db on closed. in Germany a few months ago
:thumb:

Thanks Phil, I think your system may struggle to meet the 99db static @ 5k rpm that I am looking for! :grin:

Do happen to know what a standard system reads?

The frustrating thing is none of the exhaust manufactures that I have spoken to can provide db levels!

not a 996 but hopefully a worthwhile contribution:

993 w/ muffler bypass @ Brands Hatch, static test: fail, read 104 to 105db at 5100rpm

993 stock (muffler bypass removed) @ Brands Hatch, static: pass, 99db to 101db

Badlands, useful :thumb: thanks.

How did you get on at Brands with the drive-by checks based on a static of circa 100db?

Did you have to short shift or coast at all to avoid black flags?

No issue at Anglesey, Donington & Castle Combe with my old system (Dansk Sport) with no short-shift required. Registered 100dB static at both Castle Combe and Goodwood (4.5-5k)

Fitted a new Dansk in June and it seems to be quieter than the old set. Hopefully able to pass the 98dB limit at Goodwood.

Unlikely to do any track day until October but I'm hoping to go to Thruxton at some point (90dB static but the last time I was there with my Integra, there was a 986 Boxster, a 997 turbo and a GTR, so don't think they are too strict)

My car is with standard manifold (afaik), standard cat / silencers and no engine mods.

the re-test was just me driving down there to get tested by their static guys...then I left - haven't actually done a track day there yet with the new setup, will let you know of any drive-by problems when I do!

Have you tried calling top gear and speaking to Alex hes helpful and they may well be able to offer a system that will comply with track db levels or fabricate/modify one of their valved set ups to give you a nice note for road and a below the level needed for track , eg mine would be much less without the 200cell stainless cats and the x51 stainless headers , if it was just the boxes and on quiet I am sure it would be below the db levels needed. or if I had used 400 cell cats etc etc . They can offer you options as they fabricate at Bridport HQ :thumb:

this was an interesting quote from member Demon an another current thread

"I've yet to find a set of manifolds that I prefer over my now Zircotec ceramic coated 996.2 OEM headers (made things even quieter as a side effect!),"

the point made about sound I thought you might find interesting :thumb:

996 Turbo with Kline system 200 Cell cats 100dbs @ 5000 revs :thumb:

I have contacted TopGear and await a reply - Haywood Scott, Milltek, D911 and Dansk all came back to me but none had DB data.

H&S seemed knowledgeable, commenting on the fact that its now becoming more and more difficult to get 911's through the ever diminishing track db levels, with standard system GT cars failing. - The rear engine setup hinders as you have the ambient mechanical noise.

I considered a switchable system, my car originally had PSE, but its additional weight I would rather forego.

Keep the data coming!! :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back