Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C11BRA 2017 Euro trip Grimsel/Furka/Gotthard/Como. Any tips?

C11BRA

Hello all.

After a relatively last minute glitch with corroded fuel rails, we are just about set to set off for our annual Euro trip. After an amazing few laps around the ring last year, a bit of F1 action at Spa, a trip to the Porsche Museum & ending in Brugge, the only thing lacking from last years trip was a jaw dropping road to experience. We did drive the Black Forest road but I was left feeling a little underwhelmed. So this year.....it's all about the roads. 13 sleeps to go!!!

I'm sure I'll post photos of the adventure (as long as we don't have any more mechanical hiccups) & maybe the odd video.

Here's a quick itinerary.

Depart Sat 22nd July
Day 1 Calais - Chaumont
Day 2 Chaumont - Lucerne (Chateau Gutsch Hotel)
Day 3 Lucerne - Ulrichen (via Glarus - KLAUSEN PASS - SUSTEN PASS - GRIMSEL PASS) Might visit Grimsel dam. Possible evening NUFENEN PASS evening drive?
Day 4 Ulrichen - Davos (via FURKA PASS - GOTTHARD PASS - SAN BERNADINO PASS) Glacier visit?
Day 5 Davos - Como (via FLUELA PASS - STELVIO PASS (YAY) - COMO)
Day 6 Como - Nancy long drive home arrrrrrgh
Day 7 Nancy - Calais/UK/home :sad:

Any advice or tips gladly accepted. :?:

Day 3 will be awesome three great passes. Davos is a little dead in the Summer months and if you mean the Rhone Glacier on the Furka then yes do that, really amazing place. Stelvio is one to tick off the list but uninspiring, Umbrail and Bormio passes in that area are much better driving roads. Nancy has a lovely city square and visit the Reims old GP circuit on your way home.

Re: C11BRA 2017 Euro trip Grimsel/Furka/Gotthard/Como. Any t

C11BRA said:
Any advice or tips gladly accepted. :?:

Usual stuff...
1. Get a toll reader before you go. It'll save you a lot of time at the peage in France.
2. Get your Swiss vignette before you go. It'll also save you time. And aggro. And a fine ;)

Vignette bought.
Will look into toll reader.

Umbrail & Bormio passes added.

Just found out about Verzasca Dam 007 bungy jump.

Hmmmmmmmm. Should I?

Haven't done one for years. Do I still have the balls?

C11BRA said:
Vignette bought.
Will look into toll reader.

Umbrail & Bormio passes added.

:thumb:

Also search for the thread regarding toll tags on here as there is an offer on that I posted up if you use Eurotunnel. So much easier with the Tag.

C11BRA said:
Just found out about Verzasca Dam 007 bungy jump.

Hmmmmmmmm. Should I?

Haven't done one for years. Do I still have the balls?

I was there in 2015 with the 996 on a Swiss tour with the :thewife: there were people doing the bungy on that day, its a hell of a drop.

Also if you get chance in that area there is a beautiful place just up the road from the dam called Lavertezzo, really worth a visit, stunning emerald waters that feed the Dam and a playground for the locals.

2 or 3 years ago, we drove the Grimsel, Furka and Susten Passes in one day as they are not that long and then Julier Pass over towards Bormio for a nightstop. Hotel was really friendly and excellent food
Then Stelvio which was really slow heading North East due to hundreds of cyclists and some motorhomes - wasn't anywhere near as much fun as we had hoped.
We then headed South and down the East side of Lake Garda to Bardolino - fab place

This year (came back last Sunday), a group of 12 of us all met up in Asperg and next morning then down to Salzburg for the Hangar 7 (Mayday brasserie) then Grossglockner 4degC and thick fog! South to Cortina d'Ampezzo to pick up the SR48. Brilliant road West to Trento then picked up the SP85 at Candriai which is an official hillclimb in the Swiss Championships. coincidentally, they had held one earlier that day so the crowds outside the bars were cheering as we spiritedly drove up. Stayed just outside Riva on the Lake which was stunning
next day was down the West side of Garda to Monza (cycled round in 30+DegC!), tour of Alfa museum near Rho and stayed North of Milan
Next day was a short hop to Montana Lucino which is only 15 mins by taxi to Como. slow boat up to Bellagio for a long lunch and hydrofoil back
then morning up to Contra Dam (as above) - well worth a visit - and lakeside down the West side of the Maggiore and stopped at Stresa which is stunning. little boat over to Fisherman's Island for lunch. then on to Turin for the night.
Next morning was a visit to Pininfarina and up to Susa to pick up the fabulous SS25 Col d'Iseran via Val d'Isere and up to Chamonix. White water rafting in the morning and drive to Montreux for the Jazz Festival
next morning we headed up to Troyes old town for our last stop over and then home.
approx. 2,500 miles , a million laughs and some truly epic scenery and roads - at least until we got back to the UK...!

hope this is useful and have a fab trip

:thumb:

Lost a few views due to low clouds. Never mind. Means we have to come back next year.

Arty wet shot

Yes. It snowed on the Furka!

Stelvio baby.

Como view from hotel was stunning.

Fantastic pics of a great trip. :thumbs:

:envy:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch