Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 996 GT3.2 or 997 GT3.2?

azzyy

So I have sold my Porsche 997 manual turbo and been looking at 996 GT3.2 and 997 GT3.2.

Test drove some and also been reading into reviews from users.

what i have found out so far is 996 is more of raw car and to me feels like better car overall.

what do you think?

Have you driven the 997 gen 2 GT3 ?

Compared to the 997 turbo its a totally different car as expected...... I found that it was best and most enjoyable when i was almost ringing its neck ( or at least at the upper end of the rev scale in the relevant gears..as its at the upper range where the engine sounds best.....that meant it was really mostly only really enjoyed whenni was on that mood ....

In my expwrience ut was a netter drive gbanbyhe GT3 gen 1 car i had ... miles better .... but i have read , not driven one , tbat the 996 gen 2 gt3 us a bit more ' analogue' as they say ......i think it os likely to be a more raw experience as it was the older tech , not do much raw as say ghe 996 GT3RS is famed for ...... this is more like the ' raw ' experience you commented pn ...

Overall the 997 GT3 gen 2 model is an excellent drive ....

azzyy said:
what do you think?

Who care's what we think :dont know:

azzyy said:
what i have found out so far is 996 is more of raw car and to me feels like better car overall.

This is what you feel so buy a 996 :thumbs:

996 would be my choice just in case you were wondering :grin:

Can you get an RS :?:

That would be cool 8)

Again, white and blue would be my choice :grin:

:thumb:

I've had both (and both for longer than typical amounts of time) and you really are going to have to have a think about the drive with them both and decide what you are looking for. The 997.2 is certainly the better road car out of the box but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be what you prefer. The 996 is indeed more raw and if you have it appropriately set up and take it out for a thrash it is utterly intoxicating. But if you drive it at civilian speed, over bad road surfaces, park in car parks and use it in terrible weather then you may discover that the more aggressive diff, fidgety stock suspension and peakier power delivery might make you question whether the more recent model wouldn't have been a better option.

The 3.8 engine is key to the advantage of the 997.2 as a road car. The torque is not simply higher but also has a much more linear delivery of power and torque than the 3.6 which makes it much more tractable from the low to mid part of the rev range (especially in Sport mode, which makes the throttle somewhat punchier). It also has a much better interior and as said - the stock suspension is much better resolved.

If you want a 'race car' on the road (or something close to that) and mostly going to be for focused fun driving, then the 996.2

If you want a more of an 'all rounder' road and track car (to also be used quite regularly) and prefer a bit of civility, then the 997.2

If you are obsessed with being the 'fastest' then the 997.2

If affordability is limited, then the 996.2 is cheaper

And so on...

LaSource said:
If you want a 'race car' on the road (or something close to that) and mostly going to be for focused fun driving, then the 996.1.

If you want a more of an 'all rounder' road and track car (to also be used quite regularly) and prefer a bit of civility, buy a Gen 2 997 Turbo S

If you are obsessed with being the 'fastest' then the Datsun GTR :D

If affordability is limited.... Just which part of Porsche ownership are you hoping will be cheap ? :grin:

And so on...

EFA :mrgreen:

Lol - one day we are going to have to have a 'pistols at dawn' head to head on this 996.1 and 996.2 thing.

...maybe an arm wrestle, though I need to meet you first to make sure you are not built like that strongman Magnuson dude :)

Typical PH powerfully built director type me :floor:
Not :hand:
Glad to hear you've restocked your collection :)

I have the advantage here - I've met you both, I reckon it would be a pretty even match.

LMK if you need a referee. It ought to be an interesting contest. :D

:D

Hi Digs, hope you're well ?

Well here's my brief summation :

Mk1 the better road car (it's more compliant), Mk2 the better track car (it's stiffer) Mk2 engine the better engine out of the box (though to my mind less characterful generally) I mean the Mk1 's lumpy tickover once really hot is a wondrous "trait" on a "modern" car.

Clearly the Mk2's top end rev ability is deeply impressive, even compared to the Mk 1 (which is no slouch).

The Mk2's gearbox should be superior (steel synchros and external cooler) but in reality the Mk1's 'box treated with even a modicum of mechanical sympathy isn't a problem, and is absolutely fine for road and track use.

Mk1 brakes ? Well if the standard items are in fine fettle, they'll do very fast road use without fading 99% of the time. I only got mine to fade once on some very fast roads up in central/western Scotland. On track they're clearly not up to the job, and the Mk2's are a quantum leap forward.

Interior, well if you need a glovebox and cupholders, a 996 GT3 probably isn't for you anyway ... :floor:

Everyone knows that this :

28cmd1v.jpg

was the Porsche design office on a good day.

Whereas this was the same design office on Christmas eve 2002 :

txBgstU.jpg

:grin:

Mk2's wheels fill the arches far more convincingly, but that's easily fixed :

Ko8ma9B.jpg

:thumbs:

As is the Mk 1 engines lack of top end urgency :

dISigCP.png

m9xUakm.jpg

:thumb:

So there you have it, THE most comprehensive 996 GT3 buyers guide known to mankind :mrgreen:

Slippydiff said:
So there you have it, THE most comprehensive 996 GT3 buyers guide known to mankind :mrgreen:

Such a shame that you went to all of that effort when the OP was looking for comparisons between the 996.2 and the 997.2 though Slippy. Everything about the 996.1 was out of context for the thead... :dont know:

Disco said:
Slippydiff said:

Such a shame that you went to all of that effort when the OP was looking for comparisons between the 996.2 and the 997.2 though Slippy. Everything about the 996.1 was out of context for the thead... :dont know:

Its ok - it was just a digital arm wrestle and a good excuse for some pictures to liven up a thread :)

So, in response to slippy, I agree with the gist of what he posted. That is also my understanding.

As time is short this evening, I shall leave just a picture here of two very similar cars. One has more stickers. One is standard and one has handling upgrades. The delta between them is circa 0.5s at Silverstone.

That is why I like the mk2 clubsport.

36HIRFy.jpg

Disco said:
Slippydiff said:

T and I have a long standing history of forum "banter" on the topic of Mk1 v's Mk2 996 GT3, he knows I spend every waking hour waiting for him to post. And when he does, I invariably scan his posts to see if they contain the numbers 996.2 and/or GT3.
On the occasions they do, it's my duty to "moderate" them and in the process provide a more "balanced" perspective :floor:

So on the basis T considered the Mk2 996 GT3 a contender for the OP's ownership, so therefore should the the Mk1 be.

T bless him, fortunately takes my frequent digs on the subject both in his stride and in the manner they're intended (ie not very seriously at all) ...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back