Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

probably pointless 993 weight loss observation

badlands

the weight of the 993 aircon & all of its related components (whilst still retaining the blower) is apparently 20kg.

that means the weight difference between an aircon and non-aircon 993 is the same 20kg weight difference as the 996.2 GT3 and 996 RS.

yes i have way too much time on my hands today :pc:

How much do those seats weigh - must be a fair bit? Spare wheel? It would be interesting to know the total weight that can be stripped out. Someone will now point me at a thread where this has been calculated before.

Well my aircon doesn't really work and I've toyed with the idea of new seats...

Hmmmmm......

I purposely sought a car without air-con to save on weight and expense with failing parts.
My Recaro PP's are a whole lot lighter than the standard comfort seats it came with. I will have to get them on the scales for comparison.

I think it would be fairly easy to lose 50kg+ by removing lower dash, rear seats, rear wiper & motor along with seat swap, RS Wheel etc.

C.

Not very good if you get a puncture though. I think i'll leave my 18.2kg in the nose, it helps me go round corners quicker. :grin:

C.

This weight loss bit can be comical. My Elise relies on low weight to feel quick, which it does up to 50mph ish. Saving 100kg is the weight of one sturdy bloke. I can feel the difference in the Elise with a passenger onboard. Losing 50kg in a 993? I don't think you could feel it.

cableguy said:
Not very good if you get a puncture though. I think i'll leave my 18.2kg in the nose, it helps me go round corners quicker. :grin:

C.

The spare's also important structurally if involved in a front ender. Easiest to run on quarter tanks and alone :grin: If you start chasing the weight saving it could easily become a slippery slope and before you know it taking the angle grinder to the roof to remove the c.23kgs lardy sunroof gubbins...

I think 1150kg's could be achievable with some serious surgery and £'s.. :dont know:

My 993 has had the RS treatment and has lost approx 100kgs and you can certainly feel it, some good some not so good. The loss of sound deadening and firming the suspension makes it less comfortable but the improvement in handling, cornering speed and acceleration certainly make up for it but her indoors does not appreciate it or the cost and she's only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Attachments

• final_buffing_600.jpg
    final_buffing_600.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 3,943
Endoman said:
My 993 has had the RS treatment and has lost approx 100kgs and you can certainly feel it, some good some not so good. The loss of sound deadening and firming the suspension makes it less comfortable but the improvement in handling, cornering speed and acceleration certainly make up for it but her indoors does not appreciate it or the cost and she's only seen the tip of the iceberg.

That looks lovely.
I did the cheap mans version 10 years ago, I removed the seats (mega heavy 50kgs) and fitted 6kg lightwieghts,rear sound deadening, door cards and side panels, rear shelf n speakers, rear wiper and fitted dansk de cat pipes and although I fitted a roll cage I recon I lost nearly 80kgs.

But what made a huge difference to top end grunt was light wheels, I had after market Millie miglia 993 replicas and after some research found that 996 carerra 17s where the lightest standard Porsche wheels back then....my rears were 29kgs with tyres fitted and went down to 19kgs with the Carerra wheels.
At the Nurburgring I gained 20mph going up Kesselchen on Just the wheel change alone!!!!

I always make sure I go to the toilet before driving... that takes a few KGs out :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back