Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

That Carrara White LHD Mk2 996 GT3 at Paul Stephens .....

ELA said:
Slippydiff said:
ELA said:
jotaking said:
Senoj said:
PDC is putting people off i think. 8)

what is PDC??

It's the country code i.e C16 for the UK or C00 for Germany...

And there was me thinking it stood for Parking Distance Control :?:

Slippydiff is correct, PDC is as above; PCC is the Porsche Country Code, which is what I thought Senoj was eluding to from the original link from the OP. i.e what might put someone off, a seemingly very competitively priced example.

Evening Richard. I don't mind where they come from, as long as they're built in the Porsche factory !! My 996 RS came from Cyprus (actually, now I come to mention it, it was an evil handling POS) so maybe the country it's supplied to originally does make a difference .... :?:

Slippydiff said:
ELA said:
Slippydiff said:
ELA said:
jotaking said:
Senoj said:
PDC is putting people off i think. 8)

what is PDC??

It's the country code i.e C16 for the UK or C00 for Germany...

And there was me thinking it stood for Parking Distance Control :?:

Slippydiff is correct, PDC is as above; PCC is the Porsche Country Code, which is what I thought Senoj was eluding to from the original link from the OP. i.e what might put someone off, a seemingly very competitively priced example.

Evening Richard. I don't mind where they come from, as long as they're built in the Porsche factory !! My 996 RS came from Cyprus (actually, now I come to mention it, it was an evil handling POS) so maybe the country it's supplied to originally does make a difference .... :?:

Agreed in general Henry, but there are a few countries I'd be wary of as a general rule of thumb:

Saudi - When the military gear returned from exploits in the gulf war it went through a massive strip down clean. Still though, years later, you could still see traces of the sand/dust. You just can't clean it all out. For this reason any car that has spent any time in a dessert environment wouldn't be for me.

Cyprus - I do a few audits of airports in Cyprus/Greece and one thing that struck me was how quickly some of the relatively new ground handling equipment rusts.

Japan - Many Japanese cars come with zero service history.

Italy - Not very well maintained.

USA - quirky differences that make importing to say the EU very expensive as you have to change out all lights etc as they don't have 'E' numbers on them.

Generally though, most other countries I wouldn't be too concerned about (Norway, Sweden, Germany, NL...)

Morning Rich.

I wouldn't buy a used car from Italy. Period. Let's just say their reputation proceeds them....

Yank stuff, on the whole anything old and aircooled that's lived in the sunshine state is going to be in far better condition (from the perspective of corrosion) than something that's been exposed to 40 years of English rain and road salt ! ! sure the dash 'll be cracked and the interior waaaay past its best, but I'd rather replace the interior than just about every panel in and around the floor pan !!

But you're right about the US lights and stuff, the few CGT owners that imported cars from the States when the exchange rate was in our favour and the cars were cheap anyhow, had to pay some big chunks of cash to get the correct Euro lights.

So true about Japanese cars, their calendar is different to ours (it starts when The Emperor died as I understand it) so ROW dates mean nothing, but worse still, apparently they don't actually like having their service books stamped, preferring to keep them unsullied and virginal rather than rammed full of service stamps. What a difference in culture !! Over here a service book with 10,20,30 stamps in it is something to be cherished, over there it's ruined !!

Good point about sand /dust ingress in Saudi etc, I'm sure it must wreak havoc on moving parts.

Cyprus is an interesting one, it's very hot in the summer, is it high humidity too ? Or do temperatures plummet during the night and thus produce a cycle that leads to heavy condensation ?

Not quite true about Japanese cars. Depends on the car and where you are buying from. I've bought Skylines in the past with stacks of bills, service records etc. True that the service books are sometimes not stamped but they normally have documented service papers. In this day and age not difficult to translate via google. I've also bought cars with zero history but these tended to be cheaper cars. They also tend to stick service stickers on their cars - my old GT3 had loads of these but also had service paperwork to back it up albeit some of the early history was missing. On the flip side, my 964 has fully stamped up service book from Japan with the wallet and stacks of bills.

Personally if I was after a LHD German car (especially something old) I'd always prefer a Jap import. Buy right and you're pretty much guaranteed a rust free shell and for me that is key. I once bought (at the time) a 20 year old AE86 for not much money and it was absolutely spotless - wish I never sold it.

I have a friend who bought a RUF CTR 'Yellowbird' from Japan recently and it had zero history. These are £0.5Mil+ cars today. I find it crazy that over in Japan they often don't keep any verifiable records for cars such as this :eek:

ELA said:
I have a friend who bought a RUF CTR 'Yellowbird' from Japan recently and it had zero history. These are £0.5Mil+ cars today. I find it crazy that over in Japan they often don't keep any verifiable records for cars such as this :eek:

Conversely - what would a Japanese Ruf owner in the 80s have done? Air-freighted it to Pfaffenhausen every year for a service... :dont know:

Disco said:
ELA said:

Conversely - what would a Japanese Ruf owner in the 80s have done? Air-freighted it to Pfaffenhausen every year for a service... :dont know:

Nearly every RUF goes to Japan, they are mad for them. They have 4x RUF dealers over there. Hence why many that come up for market would have spent some time in Japan ;)
http://www.ruf-web.co.jp/

ELA said:
Disco said:
ELA said:

Nearly every RUF goes to Japan, they are mad for them. They have 4x RUF dealers over there. Hence why many that come up for market would have spent some time in Japan ;)
http://www.ruf-web.co.jp/

My question referred to 30 years ago when the CTR was a current model and Ruf was a tiny company that didn't really have any real presence outside of Germany. i.e. the root of an absence of service history. In practical terms only top tier car geeks and people who had been exposed to Faszination had even heard of them before Gran Turismo 2 launched in 2000 (which is as far as I know the point at which they became a thing in Japan)... :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back