Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clicking/ticking noise

mightyvr6

Hi chaps. I've recently been doing some work on the car which included changing the cam cover gaskets, spark plugs, leads, dizzy caps/rotors, all filters and an oil change using titan pro 5w 40. Later I noticed a clicking/ticking sound which appears to coming from the drivers side cylinders so I thought must be a lifter so ive swapped all the lifters. It's still clicking :x

The noise is faint with the engine cold and more pronounced when hot and rises and falls with engine revs. It's really annoying and wasn't like that before the work started. I'm not sure what to do next. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks
Ben

Hi,

Is the noise from the same side and same cylinder? You can usually isolate it using a mechanics stethoscope.

If its not the same cylinder then its a good idea to get it nice and hot holding at differing revs for a period.

That does sound valve train generated.

It might be worth swapping the lifters just for that cylinder with ones you already have.

Also, are you sure they are the right ones? The Turbo has different lifters and they do ones that are shorter for work carried out on the heads. Make sure all the ones you have are the correct ones for your application.

Hope your get it sorted.

Regards
GR

Thanks GR. I used INA 420005210. I was assured these were correct.

Ticking noises are common with the M96/7 engines but not so much with the 993.

For anyone interested in ticking with a M96/7 engine - it is actually an extremely complex subject with many potential innocent causes (none of which are easy to remedy) and some serious ones that require an engine rebuild to solve.

If you really want to know more and read a very long and complex explanation - E-mail me on [email protected] and I will send you a copy.

I don't have anything similar that refers to a 993 - sorry.

Baz

Decent mileage. Did the engine builder have any idea on the cause of the bent & worn valves?

C.

Hi

Worn exhaust guides on these cars is very common, and it's not necessarily a huge issue. I had mine "Klined" at about 190k miles when I did my top end.

The motor was apart to fix a broken piston ring, and did not need to come apart if it had not been for that.

I don't track the car though.

Well done getting it fixed. My car still has its original lifters bu the way.

All the best

Berni

cableguy - I was told changing down and letting it bounce off the rev limiter can cause bent valves but im not sure what has caused it in my case. There was no damage to the piston but the top was discoloured indicating the burn was different to the others. I've always been mechanically sympathetic with the car and it seemed to happen overnight so I'm not too sure how. It's the heat which causes valve guide wear on the exhaust side. Inlet valves run cooler so are normally ok.

Cameltoe & Heel - cheers Trev much better and thanks for the recommendation :thumb:

Berni - Thanks. I changed the lifters on the right hand bank but the left side are original. I think the right side were actually ok tbh.

There is an interesting post on Rennlist of a cracked inlet valve head, looks like it was almost ready to fall off! Possible suggested causes were overheating (faulty injector) or worn valve guides which seem to be more prevelant in the States.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back