Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 996 C2

Lovely car :thumb:
I have to say aero kits on narrow C2s really work (although I am a little biased)

What are the next plans?!

Cheers James,

I have a few things planned not sure in what order.

Gt3 dash delete few people mentioned it and always liked the more simplistic look myself,

Topgear manifolds
Topgear x pipe sport cats added to my OEM PSE system that also needs a minor seam repair on one side.

Rear brake disc/pads

Other than that i want to drive it lots this summer, today i had planned for a nice drive out as it STILL hasn't turn a wheel since the detail last week just not had the time to get down collect the car and go.. :frustrated:

I have noticed one of the headlight washer jet 'nipples' on one of my litronic headlights is missing i want to replace it (tiny detail i know!) just one is missing but wouldn't have a clue what the part is and where to buy it. any ideas?

I've just done the console delete and I much prefer the space and looks of it. Unfortunately I couldn't get the light grey colour to match the carpet but I've got long term plans for the interior anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

I've no idea for the headlight washer but completely get where you are coming from. I want to get my headlights detailed/refurbed soon.

What are the yokos like to run?

Have you ever actually used the headlight washer jets?
(I replaced the entire unit on one side with a used one to ensure I had 2 fully working, periscoping washers..........despite the fact I never actually use them)

Word of warning - be fully inside the car in a remote location with all the windows shut when you do - I don't know who designed them, but they will easily also clean your windscreen and the underside of any low flying planes!!!

James- Cool where did you buy your delete kit? keep us posted on your interior plans :thumb:

Have you got yellowing on your headlights? if so get a cutting compound and either use elbow power or a rotor polisher does the trick.

Yoko's are really good not done many miles on them but the driving i have done in wet and dry seem good, time will tell but so far so good.

Demon- no i haven't used them lol i'm just being a tart and having one nipple missing annoys me :oops: now you mention how bad they are i want to give them a go and see!

JM30 said:
James- Cool where did you buy your delete kit? keep us posted on your interior plans :thumb:

Have you got yellowing on your headlights? if so get a cutting compound and either use elbow power or a rotor polisher does the trick.

Yoko's are really good not done many miles on them but the driving i have done in wet and dry seem good, time will tell but so far so good.

Hi mate
I was lucky enough to get the main carpet section from this forum just as I was about to order from the OPC. They are a special order part from what I was told. In the end I just needed the plastic bit so saved a few quid :thumb:

Yes I need to pull my finger out and get on with the lights. I haven't been brave enough yet!

Triple post!!

Error double post

Small update,

First off i have gone through from page 1 to 4 making sure all my previous pictures are back on instead of a grey failed picture box thanks to PB :pc: so now hosting with Postimage, i want to keep this a thread for myself to view and anyone interested in seeing pictures :)

So i have recently been just driving an enjoying it as much as i can and keeping on top of any maintenance needed, as mentioned above i have been having a buzzing / vibrating type noise when the exhaust is cold goes away once warm but annoys the hell out of me for a few miles so popped along to Fast road conversions based in Ashford Kent, used these guys before on my Lotus Exige exhaust, they are Topgear/long life exhausts fabricators, nice bunch and always happy to supply tea and let me nose under the car and watch them work, so i took it along and mentioned the problem they said 'seams' before i said anything else! i had a new exhaust sleeve kit that i wanted fitting anyhow, while the exhausts silencers off and cats he renewed all 3 studs and nuts on each of the exhausts silencer mounts and all 6 bolts/nuts on the cat the manifold flanges and fitted the new sleeve kit and clamps, we also found one side the valve actuator was seized shut so renewed that now both actuators working perfectly white greased for future protection, while the silencers are on the bench he assessed the seams fully and said no obvious blows and gave them the all clear but said future seam repair is likely but now every bolt holding the exhaust being new it will be easy to remove and repair when i decide.

While the exhausts silencers are off he also gave them a shake to see if we could hear anything loose or rattling (not too technical but short of cutting them open no way to know!!) my issue at this stage is apart from renewing all bots in sight and new actuator and assessment of the seams no actual repair has taken place in terms of what i was expecting for the noise i get every time i use the car when its not fully warm, so at this point i agree to have it re fitted and then test, by this time it will be obviously cold.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

I had them spray the inside of the exhaust tailpipe tips black to make them look fresh.

All fitted started it up and nothing, all sounded superb as it always has when warm, in fact it sounds bloody great now both silencers open and close correctly so its much louder than before!

Heat shields are something of an ongoing saga with these cars - the small number of fittings to the 'body' of the car and the thin crimpled nature of the material they're made of......
- walk around the back quarter of the car firmly thumping the bumper skin at regular points and you'll soon identify any tell tale buzzing rattles

it's then typically the MacGyver fix of your choice
- even brand new heat shields can show the same symptoms with just a few months of use if the car is a daily driver exposed to regular cruddy weather

Hmm ok so could be into something then with the heat shield idea, i still didn't get round to it school holidays keeping me busy on my day off!

Thanks Demon for the heads up, i will use your tip in the morning i hope it doesn't involve removing the silencer to fix,

:thumb:

I had to cut open an exhaust box on a previous 996 which had the sports boxes fitted.

I believe they were Eisenman, which are/were possibly the Porsche Sports Exhaust.
There was a buzz/rattle that was horrible at around 2200 rpm. There are threads on some American forums I think, but basically the inside of the box is split into 3 chambers.
The inlet pipe passes one way through all three, then outlet again through all three, with a bypass that goes just through the first chamber (hence free'r flowing and louder).
The chambers are divided by a sheet of steel welded perpendicular to the sides of the box. The welds are small and can break. The buzz or rattle is the thin steel plate vibrating against the sides and the pipes in the box, with the exhaust gases pulsing through the silencer box.

Easyish to fix. Cut open a square or rectangle out of the centre part of one side of the box. Locate and re weld broken welds, weld back in the bit you cut out. Not pretty but effective.

Thanks James for the detailed information on this, although i was really hoping this wouldn't be the case! it has always been my suspicion and if so i will pass your information onto them, thank you.

It sure is a horrible resonated buzz/vibration not a blow type boomy noise. really hard to describe, and as i found out does not do it until the car has moved off that's the puzzling part? but genuinely embarrassing while its doing this as it takes over the exhaust note until warm.

Nice one James,

I'll update on how i get on with it, i won't be giving up until i fix it!

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back