Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mounting a smartphone in a 911

Andrew543

My 997 satnav is out of date, and I find the smartphone mapping works better. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 but all smartphones are fairly similar in size. The problem is mounting it in the car. Windscreen suction is too big and clumsy, air vent mount is not secure and points a little downwards, and the cup holder mounts look a bit high for a 911. Has anyone found a good way to mount a smartphone easily and securely?

I have never had a problem with these:

I attached two , as an iPhone 7 is bigger / heavier, but even at speed , doesn't fall off

Car Mount, Mpow Grip Magnetic Car Phone Holder Air Vent Phone Mount Universal Car Cradle for iPhone 7 6 6 Plus 5 Nexus 7 Huawei P9 LG Sony Samsung S6 S5 Note 5 4 and other Andriod Cellphones(Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z66LWDW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BXCjzbB9DVEG9

Andrew have a google at the ones that mount in the CD slot they are a good height and location to use for nav.

Attachments

• img_0604_d584b33ccb3960fd5914a2e0f9c1319fcb755fef_710.jpg
    img_0604_d584b33ccb3960fd5914a2e0f9c1319fcb755fef_710.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,412
  • images_159.jpg
    images_159.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 3,412
Phil 997 said:
Andrew have a google at the ones that mount in the CD slot they are a good height and location to use for nav.

This is what I use, works great and can be taken out and stored when not in use. :thumb:

chaser said:
Phil 997 said:

This is what I use, works great and can be taken out and stored when not in use. :thumb:

Same here. I find its the perfect height. To be honest, I never use the OEM sat nav at all now, just use Waze on my phone.

Thank you

Thank you for all your help.

The secondhand Brodit mount bought on this forum works really well. It is perhaps just a little low and touches the front passenger's knee but it is a really good fit and very secure. It is closer to the power supply in the front passenger well and a right angle USB lead keeps the wire away from the passenger's feet. The RAV dual slot USB charger charges up the phone quickly even when using mapping apps.

I did not get on well with a cheapo vent mount - the mount just fell off all the time.

The Olixar CD slot mount is more prominent but may be easier to read. It needs retightening to the CD slot every so often but does not go far into the CD slot so I do not feel that I am damaging anything.

On balance the Brodit is the best for me - thank you very much again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back