Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911Sc Vs 964 Vs 996 GT3 Vs Alfa 105 Vs Elise S1

SidewaysSi

Have a modified Elise S1 Sport 160 and a Caterham and after something I can take the wife and 8 month old son out in.

Needs to have feel, adjustability and low enough limits to enjoy on road.

Budget is around £50k and will be something I want to keep for a few years.

Completely confused whether to keep the Elise which does limit usage. Or get an Alfa or 911. Only issue is whether they will match the fun and dynamics of the Lotus...?

996 or 997 turbo are logical options at that price point. I have a S1 Sport 135 and a 996 turbo and they do complement each other quite well.

If low enough limits with adjustability on tap are the main priorities then I would suggest anything 996 or newer will feel too modern/high limits. I have experience of numerous Elises, Exiges and Caterhams and whilst early 996's do have a nice analogue feeling with nice control weights and brakes that require decent pedal effort they still weigh double an Elise and feel it. More of a fast A road/motorway car imo, even with m030.

Therefore I would say either a 911sc with some RS bits on it, a 964 or Alfa 105, perhaps with Alfaholics mods. From those it sounds like the Alfa would be far closer to the limits/adjustability you desire :)

A 911SC is absolutely captivating to drive and I guarantee you won't be disappointed . :thumbs:

I doubt you will find anything as engaging to drive on the road (at legal speeds) as a S1 Elise. I had a S1 160 sport for a couple of years that Turbo Tecnics in Northampton supercharged for me. I remember it feeling like a go cart (virtually sitting on the road, unassisted breaks, etc..) I wish I still had it now!

My advice would be keep the 160 Sport, especially as there are now only about 100 of them left in U.K. It should be a sound investment and loads of fun when you get to use it no matter how infrequently.

With a £50k budget (or less) there are loads of great options that would seat 3 (plus all the crap you have to take with you when you have a kid under 2). Off the top of my head I would be looking at M3/M4's or C63 AMG's. A good wild card would be the alfa romeo quadrifoglio, I came across one the other day whilst out in the turbo. It looked good in the metal and sounded great.

SidewaysSi said:
Needs to have feel, adjustability and low enough limits to enjoy on road.

Budget is around £50k and will be something I want to keep for a few years.

Have you tried a GT86 :?:

+ Plenty of £££s left over for something else ... or just keep the Lotus for solo days.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back