Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Average annual mileage of a 997 remains at ..

T8

Super Moderator
....... 6.2 k miles a year.

Further to my previous similar studies I have just analysed 171 adverts on AutoTrader and established that the average mileage per year for a 997 Carrera/Carrera S Coupe is almost exactly the same as I last reported 2 years ago.

Previous report: => August 2015 study

First time in my life I can say that I'm happy to be below average😎

I am above ave. :roll: :roll: :eek: :floor:

I'm one of the guilty ones keeping the average down .

T8 said:
....... 6.2 k miles a year.

Further to my previous similar studies I have just analysed 171 adverts on AutoTrader and established that the average mileage per year for a 997 Carrera/Carrera S Coupe is almost exactly the same as I last reported 2 years ago.

Previous report: => August 2015 study

I'm actually surprised the annual use is the same, given these cars are getting older I guessed people would start using them as second cars or on special occasions. Glad to be wrong and interested to see what happens in 2019 :)

Don't understand the concept of being pleased about not driving a car thats defining feature is its driving experience :dont know:

Not doing many miles is fine, each to their own i say. Why should it be viewed as some kind of dirty secret??
This forum is definitely the best I've ever used but there are a lot on here who get all judgemental about owners who choose to do limited miles. Its plain to see it bugs the hell out them!
I don't do more than 3000 miles during the 6 months i have my 911 on the road. Don't feel guilty one little bit about it because i do it my way :puh:

apollokre1d said:
I'm actually surprised the annual use is the same, given these cars are getting older I guessed people would start using them as second cars or on special occasions.

Actually your first instincts were correct. The average for early cars, now 12-13 years old, is nearer to 5k than 6k per annum.

Looking back at my data from 2013 & 2015 there was a pattern that has continued. It seems that generally these cars do c25k in their first 3 years and less per year thereafter.

The same was so with the 996.

I've just analysed the 991 Carreras currently advertised and that pattern has definitely continued.

I drive mine as often as I can but other factors have limited this over the last few years. I've owned my car for over 8 years, one year I did 10K, another 600 miles! On average over it's 10.5 year life, it's doing 4.1K per year.

marconorth said:
Not doing many miles is fine, each to their own i say. Why should it be viewed as some kind of dirty secret??
This forum is definitely the best I've ever used but there are a lot on here who get all judgemental about owners who choose to do limited miles. Its plain to see it bugs the hell out them!
I don't do more than 3000 miles during the 6 months i have my 911 on the road. Don't feel guilty one little bit about it because i do it my way :puh:

Ha ha, spot on.... :thumbs:

DucatiRob said:
Don't understand the concept of being pleased about not driving a car thats defining feature is its driving experience :dont know:
This... ^^ Not driving your Porsche to keep the mileage down for resale value is like not shagging your missus so she's nice n tight for the next bloke!! :)
P/x'd my 996 Turbo in Feb after having done 55,000 glorious miles in 2.5 years.. Had my 981 Cayman S for 5.5 months now.....13,500 miles,including a trip to Norway and I've just spent a week end in Wales doing the Brecon Beacons, Lake Bala,EVO Triangle and Snowdonia..942 miles door to door :D Cars are 'built' to be 'Driven' What would Ferdinand Porsche say if he knew his creations were left gathering dust in garages up n down the country.. :sad: And for those that have just had a heart attack at the mileage I do, don't worry, both cars are doing extremely well :grin:

KJD said:

This study is of cars currently for sale, not of the general car population. There might be a whole pile of very high mileage cars which are being run around but the owners have no thoughts of selling, likewise no doubt a bunch of very low mileage speculator cars. Either way, if you aren't one of the 171 adverts on Auto Trader you aren't making any difference to the average.

MC

MisterCorn said:
KJD said:

This study is of cars currently for sale, not of the general car population. There might be a whole pile of very high mileage cars which are being run around but the owners have no thoughts of selling, likewise no doubt a bunch of very low mileage speculator cars. Either way, if you aren't one of the 171 adverts on Auto Trader you aren't making any difference to the average.

MC

That told me :D

Daily drivers don't really get 'driver experience' stuck in the ritual 9 to 5 crawl into work.

What they do get is a higher fuel bill for the pleasure of sitting in traffic.

Maybe a Poll is required to define is their P&J is a guilty pleasure at home or a 24/7 chariot. That'll be more interesting to see if there's been a shift in how society purchases 911's for the purpose of.

Junky said:
DucatiRob said:
This... ^^ Not driving your Porsche to keep the mileage down for resale value is like not shagging your missus so she's nice n tight for the next bloke!! :)
P/x'd my 996 Turbo in Feb after having done 55,000 glorious miles in 2.5 years.. Had my 981 Cayman S for 5.5 months now.....13,500 miles,including a trip to Norway and I've just spent a week end in Wales doing the Brecon Beacons, Lake Bala,EVO Triangle and Snowdonia..942 miles door to door :D Cars are 'built' to be 'Driven' What would Ferdinand Porsche say if he knew his creations were left gathering dust in garages up n down the country.. :sad: And for those that have just had a heart attack at the mileage I do, don't worry, both cars are doing extremely well :grin:

Good for you Junky, take a bow.

The truth is, if I could afford a 991GT2RS as a daily that would be grand. But I'm not an oil sheik so I can't. I have to wear boots, overalls and a hard hat and go off to work just like most of us.

Am I sensitive to the milage I thump on my turbo? Oh yes, fekkin right I am. It's a pampered garage queen, only comes out on Sunny days. It's my exciting 'occasion' car. Leisure drives (blasts), pub lunch, picnics, meets, events etc.

I plan to keep it for the next ten years or so but who knows, I might have to bail well before that and if I do I'll need a good chunk of my money back. It's still worth what I paid for it 19 months ago according to the market. Maybe a bit more.

It's my absolute P&J and every month I own it is a bonus. I don't owe a penny on it, it's all mine. Still livin' the turbo dream, and long may it continue!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back