Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbos - the horror!

old nick

Hey all.

Having some extensive work done on the Tubby - started with new coilovers, but you know how it goes :) Just taken turbos out to refurb/upgrade to go with the rest of the work, but one of the turbo 'casing' is shot to sh*t. End result I need one of these or a second hand turbo to upgrade along with the one that is still OK. It's either that of bite the bullet for £5k's worth of new turbos (thoughts here welcomed too).

Thanks for reading, appreciated!

Old Nick

Common problem on the turbo's. Easy and fairly cheap to have them reconditioned, about £800 iirc. Its all the associated oil pipes/tanks and labour that sends the costs up.

ras62 said:
Common problem on the turbo's. Easy and fairly cheap to have them reconditioned, about £800 iirc. Its all the associated oil pipes/tanks and labour that sends the costs up.

Thanks, but apparently one is too shot to rebuild (thought I'd noticed a drop off in boost!). Cheers, ON

old nick said:
Hey all.

Having some extensive work done on the Tubby - started with new coilovers, but you know how it goes :) Just taken turbos out to refurb/upgrade to go with the rest of the work, but one of the turbo 'casing' is shot to sh*t. End result I need one of these or a second hand turbo to upgrade along with the one that is still OK. It's either that of bite the bullet for £5k's worth of new turbos (thoughts here welcomed too).

Thanks for reading, appreciated!

Old Nick

Always better to swap both out as usually the other one will be on it's last legs. I would also change the oil feed pipes at the same time and check the actuators. If the casing has gone so have the bearings so please don't drive it as you can quickly wreck the engine.

You can buy a pair of OEM turbos(exact same as the porsche dealer ones -just without the porsche part no and 3k per side cost) these are less than £950 a side if buying both.

I'd avoid K24.....yes they generate more boost but unless your upgrading the intercoolers to GT2 ones they can run hotter than they are designed to.

Try these guys

http://www.aet-turbos.co.uk/find-my-turbo/replacement-porsche-turbo/nine-eleven

I'd also avoid buying 2nd hand turbos(but would consider remanufactured ones from a turbo expert company) as you don't know how worn they are and whether they will work until fitted.....ask yourself why are they up for sale?

AET Turbos change the body for a GT2 version and renew bearings and seals etc so I wouldnt worry about it being too shot to rebuild as really they can all be refurbished.

.....they sometimes also have remanufactured avail off the shelf and you know they are going to be ok from these guys.

They built a pair of hybrid K24's for my GT2 and now it pushes 1.3bar of boost with reduced lag when calling for power.

wizard993 said:
.....they sometimes also have remanufactured avail off the shelf and you know they are going to be ok from these guys.

They built a pair of hybrid K24's for my GT2 and now it pushes 1.3bar of boost with reduced lag when calling for power.

Thanks for this - K24s should be OK as have fitted larger intercoolers, high flow headers and 200 cell cats too.

Plan was to get originals rebuilt with better internals - will be trying AET!

ras62 said:
AET Turbos change the body for a GT2 version and renew bearings and seals etc so I wouldnt worry about it being too shot to rebuild as really they can all be refurbished.

Thanks, will try them

old nick said:
wizard993 said:

Thanks for this - K24s should be OK as have fitted larger intercoolers, high flow headers and 200 cell cats too.

Plan was to get originals rebuilt with better internals - will be trying AET!

They have a bearing set that is more robust than the original ones and lasts longer so if they can rebuild ask them to fit these
:thumb:

I've got a K16 here. It came of my car when I put two new ones one.the offside one was knackered but the near side one (this one) is still ok.

Hoggy said:
I've got a K16 here. It came of my car when I put two new ones one.the offside one was knackered but the near side one (this one) is still ok.

Thanks - guess which side has gone on mine though! Seems to be the common one. Appreciate the shout out

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back