Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Servicing my car before selling

k11pol

Hi,
I am going to be selling my 997 gen 1 but before I do so will put it through a service. This will be its 5th service the first one was at Porsche main dealer , the second a Porsche indie and the last 2 were at Hartech as I had a full engine rebuild and extra work back in late 2011.

My dilemma now is do I put it back to Hartech for its final service under my ownership or would it be better with a Porsche main dealer service stamp ?

I'd be happy with hartech particularly with them doing a rebuild that should help you get a better price, good luck moving onto another Porsche?

I would take it back to Hartech :thumb:

For anybody who knows about these cars either would be fine. For the uninitiated an OPC service would be seen as better IMO, so for the relatively small price difference I would go with that. You should get a condition report of some sort too I expect, useful whfn selling.

MC

k11pol said:
Yes going to go for a 991 possibly a GTS or Turbo

Mates just placed is order for a fully spec gts, enjoy!!

MisterCorn said:
For anybody who knows about these cars either would be fine. For the uninitiated an OPC service would be seen as better IMO, so for the relatively small price difference I would go with that. You should get a condition report of some sort too I expect, useful whfn selling.

MC

+1 :agree:, only because that's what I would be looking for. Then if I owned the car and continued to use an OPC the service history would show it being back under OPC history with 2 or 3+ stamps back to back.

Definitely open to a wider audience of buyers having an OPC service stamp. If Baz has completed the engine work then that's an engine tick in the box for hopefully reliability.

silvermilnec said:
k11pol said:

I can see his face when he realises that your 1.5 is far prettier (not to mention a third of the price) :grin:

I agree, an OPC stamp will carry more weight with a prospective purchaser.

Fair point, if I was buying it i would question why you took it to a different dealer after spending thousands elsewhere on a rebuild but it is a fair point that the uninitiated would prefer OPC.

I'd take it to Hartech.

The OPC history has already been broken.

Any perspective buyer who gets hung up on a Hartech service would likely be more worried about the rebuilt engine.

Anyone who's done their homework on Hartech (and are happy with the rebuild) would be happy for it to be serviced by the 'experts' who rebuilt it.

To the uninitiated the words "engine rebuild" in a sales advert would IMHO deter potential purchasers in any event. Only buyers who have seriously researched buying a Porsche model would know the issues with the M96/97 engines and the significant of Hartech future proofing of the original design. When I purchased my Boxster from new in 2001 & 997 from new in 2004 I had no idea of the issues already surfacing with the engines, assuming Porsche was the by word for automotive engineering excellence. That perception still prevails today in the minds of "Jo public". A Hartech service would complement the rebuild "history".

Scholester said:
silvermilnec said:
k11pol said:

I can see his face when he realises that your 1.5 is far prettier (not to mention a third of the price) :grin:
Sssshhhh he might be watching 😎😎😎😎 I see my car next to 991 regularly and I certainly think it holds its own in the looks department cheers!

Could there be any problems with OPC refusing to service it with the engine rebuild being done by another company. It Is booked into my local OPC tomorrow.

k11pol said:
Could there be any problems with OPC refusing to service it with the engine rebuild being done by another company. It Is booked into my local OPC tomorrow.

OPC won't turn down a service. The only thing they would refuse would be a Porsche warranty.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back