Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

U.S. vs. ROW engine?

johan78

Hi.

I am a long time reader here, but this is my first post because now I have finally gone and seen a couple 996:s that I'm considering buying. A manual C2 with factory aerokit is what I'm looking for but it's proving to be hard to find. Anyway... There's a potential car for sale (without the aerokit) but it's a North America-version. I know there is some differences in suspension (softer if I'm correct) and of course the bumberettes on the rear. The suspension is easy to change and probably isn't standard anymore anyway but I've read somewhere that there are some differences in the engines between the NA and ROW versions. Something to do with emission testing. Is this true and if it is what are the differences? Also do the differences matter considering longetivity or maintenance?

I've tried searching but have found very little on this. Only a mention in some US-forums.

Hello again and thank you in advance.

You're happy with left-hand drive? That's the biggest difference, I bet.

Honestly, with the state of our roads, softer suspension might not be a bad thing.

Can't think of anything else, except I think the car may be able to run on 91-octane unleaded (the standard fuel in the US), although it will feel much peppier on 97+.

I doubt there are any long-term worries, but you could try asking VOSA?

I didn't mention it in the original post but I'm in scandinavia so LHD is what we have. You guys have so much knowledge in this forum so I thought I might get an answer here :)

They did various different engine version of the M96, mostly to suit emission laws in the US.

Read some info here: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=750071

and plenty more if you search around.

ps. we did get the M96.04 version - it was standard in the Carrera 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back