Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Really need some advice please

Timwheatley

Could you please shed some light on this. My 2002 C2 had a full engine rebuild at Northway Porsche 18 months ago at 77k. It had all new liners, bearings, seals, piston rings, IMS - the works! Had oil change 1k after and at 83k she now needs oil. I rand northway and was told they use Mobil 10w 40 Super 2000 so topped it up last night in the garage. Thought I'd have a little run in it tonight so checked the oil on the dipstick & all was perfect. Jumped in the car turned the ignition and noticed the oil pressure gauge registered 2 before I fired it up. Started the car, oil presssure displayed 5 and after say 5 seconds the oil pressure fell to zero following by the red oil can and failure message. Anyway, the shock took a few seconds to register but the engine sounded fine and then I switched it off. Had a look at the engine (don't know what for!) and decided to start her up again. Turned the ignition and the pressure gauge went to 1 but the needle was fluctuating slight. Took a deep breath and started it. Pressure gauge registered 5 - and it stayed there. Left it runnnng for a few minutes and all appeared well so I thought I'd venture up the road. All appeared well! However, I read in the manual that normal oil pressure should be 3.5 at 5000 rpm. Mine is showing:
Above 3000. 5
Below 3000. 4.5
Tickover. 2.5

Considering the rebuild I can't believe it's the engine?? Could it be the oil pressure sensor?

Looking forward to reading your replies

Tim

Hi Tim,

Don't panic. Sounds like a faulty pressure sensor. Ignore the pressure gauge when the engine is cold as it'll be sky high on the pressure. After around 15 minutes of running when oil (not water) is up to temp, you should be hovering around 1-1.5 bar on tickover.

Relief

Thanks for your reply. Going to go out and have a tentative play in her now then!!

pressure sensor ontop of the cam box rear of engine drivers side youu can remove in situ not expensive and prone to failiurewith those exact symtoms ...dont worry

:worship: :worship:

Its already been said but ill add my voice :)

Ignition on and a reading of 2 bar cant happen .. there is no pressure without the engine running so that in itself points to a faulty oil pressure sender unit .

reading 1 ignition on or fluctuating also points to a pressure sender being at fault.

Basically if it had low or no oil pressure then you would know about it ... they aint quiet in that situation !

Same thing happened to me and it was a faulty sensor. I had the benefit of knowing they were prone to it and the symptoms so when it happened I didn't ***** myself but I would have if I wasn't expecting it!

Mine was intermittent for 1 week but changed it and slept easy.

Perfect

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just been out for a fabulous, window down, evening drive. Was going to be a serine but, as all appeared well, it turned out to be, shall we say, fairly spirited. Marvellous!!

Be thankful you saw it when the car was stationary and not running -symptoms cause significantly more stress when it drops to zero, red oil can light appears and you have just been caning it while passing some slower stuff up a nice local fast rural A road. Apart from the sudden cold sweat its most embarrassing when the 10 cars you have passed in the previous few minutes drive past while you have your head under the lid. Took the contacts off the pressure switch, cleaned them up and was totally fine until I had it replaced as a precaution at the next service.

Cheers.Ian

Timwheatley said:
Could you please shed some light on this. My 2002 C2 had a full engine rebuild at Northway Porsche 18 months ago at 77k. It had all new liners, bearings, seals, piston rings, IMS - the works! Had oil change 1k after and at 83k she now needs oil. I rand northway and was told they use Mobil 10w 40 Super 2000 so topped it up last night in the garage. Thought I'd have a little run in it tonight so checked the oil on the dipstick & all was perfect. Jumped in the car turned the ignition and noticed the oil pressure gauge registered 2 before I fired it up. Started the car, oil presssure displayed 5 and after say 5 seconds the oil pressure fell to zero following by the red oil can and failure message. Anyway, the shock took a few seconds to register but the engine sounded fine and then I switched it off. Had a look at the engine (don't know what for!) and decided to start her up again. Turned the ignition and the pressure gauge went to 1 but the needle was fluctuating slight. Took a deep breath and started it. Pressure gauge registered 5 - and it stayed there. Left it runnnng for a few minutes and all appeared well so I thought I'd venture up the road. All appeared well! However, I read in the manual that normal oil pressure should be 3.5 at 5000 rpm. Mine is showing:
Above 3000. 5
Below 3000. 4.5
Tickover. 2.5

Considering the rebuild I can't believe it's the engine?? Could it be the oil pressure sensor?

Looking forward to reading your replies

Tim

Dark Blue with aerokit and grey interior?...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back