Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche approved warranty for 993 models

I'm sceptical - have to say.

By the time you have forked out thousands to rectify the 'faults' detected at the 111 point check by the 'expert technicians' and paid your circa £1k warranty fee (every year) something pretty bad would have to go wrong to make this worthwhile.

Nope - sorry - I'll be sticking with 'self Insurance' and doing my own maintenance thanks.

Some thoughts...

Is the Porsche warranty third party? .. I recently heard it is, not much in it for Porsche.
Yet the cynic in me feels that reeling in 993's is about the money for Porsche as they're not doing well out of us currently!

Porsche would like more association with their aircooled cars. They'd also like a stream of income from these (sometimes) wealthy owners who won't buy their newer cars, and trade up every few years..

Sooo ... if we do that 111 check and take up the warranty, must we then service our cars with Porsche? Do we need to use genuine parts like pads, discs, battery, tyres?
If yes, then this is very clever marketing by Porsche.

Barney how many will suckered into that? ....... not 993 owners who have had their cars for five years and more who have never used the OPC network for servicing or anything else, these people of which I am one will still carry on regardless doing it their own way.

I am not too sure who they are trying to attract ...... it certainly would be a laugh for me for them to do a 111 point check on my car if they were looking for originality ....... lol

If they even get the 111 check money out of you Andy that's more than they're getting at the moment
:wink:

Porsche may have got their stats wrong if they think they'll have 993 owners breaking down OPC doors .. but that doesn't mean that's not what their intentions are!

....... but I am wondering what actually are their intentions .......... :?:

:dont know:

Strategic revenue.

111 check = £££'s

Returning any items identified on the 111 checks = £££'s

Porsche Approved Warranty = £££'s

Vehicle requires consumables during the PAW, has to have Genuine Porsche Products fitted = £££'s

Vehicle servicing under PAW = £££'s

Likelihood a vehicle will have failed parts after a 111 check = limited potential.

The more their products remain on the roads looking and operating as per they left the factory, the better the wider public have trust in their vehicles for longevity than other competitors.

So as we can see it doesn't take a lot of effort on their behalf before their accounts start to look a lot healthier.

If it doesn't work out viable profit, the scheme will be ceased as quickly as it's been introduced.

No brainer really.

......... but as I said earlier ........ most of our 993s have had quite a bit of remedial and upgrade work done and I imagine quite a lot of non Porsche parts ....... so there is no ways most of us will be knocking at our local OPC garage door asking and paying for a 111 point check ....... the thought is laughable.

:floor:

ballcock said:
Some thoughts...

Is the Porsche warranty third party? .. I recently heard it is, not much in it for Porsche.
Yet the cynic in me feels that reeling in 993's is about the money for Porsche as they're not doing well out of us currently!

Porsche would like more association with their aircooled cars. They'd also like a stream of income from these (sometimes) wealthy owners who won't buy their newer cars, and trade up every few years..

Sooo ... if we do that 111 check and take up the warranty, must we then service our cars with Porsche? Do we need to use genuine parts like pads, discs, battery, tyres?

There is benefit in an OPC warranty and it shouldn't tie you to an OPC for servicing, so as long as the car is correctly serviced using genuine parts, unless this is part of the T&C's ?

Genuine Parts is the key factor here, Porsche Classic Parts have done a fantastic job over the years ensuring classic parts are readily available, which compares very favourably to other classic marques.

The key question is what are the items at risk on a 993 that will not be age related

:?:

911UK said:
ballcock said:
Some thoughts...

There is benefit in an OPC warranty and it shouldn't tie you to an OPC for servicing, so as long as the car is correctly serviced using genuine parts, unless this is part of the T&C's ?

Genuine Parts is the key factor here, Porsche Classic Parts have done a fantastic job over the years ensuring classic parts are readily available, which compares very favourably to other classic marques.

The key question is what are the items at risk on a 993 that will not be age related

:?:

I don't believe this is correct. I currently have a Cayenne with a USED Porsche warranty and have been warned that any third party work will render the policy void.
If I can paraphrase a legal eagle from another thread / forum..

If your car is less than two years old, it's under new car warranty and the Block Exemption Rules apply; my understanding is that LEGALLY Porsche can't insist you do not use third party maintenance.

HOWEVER ....

. If your car is under the Approved Used Car warranty, then this is a contract for Insurance against failure. This contract stipulates that you have to use OPC for everything. If you do not, your warranty is void.

This, I believe, is the reason Porsche is suddenly interested in warrantying 993's.
@ Andy, I don't believe they're aiming their warranty at 'us' .. It's more focussed on owners who just want their local OPC to look after everything checkbook out, no questions.
Licence to print money.

Having seen a report on a 997c2s that required £10k plus vat ( from Porsche ) to get on to Porsche warranty ( and that was nothing major either in terms of fixes ) I am struggling to see how any 993 is going to get on to it without a large bill. In the end the above car did get a warranty after spending £6k plus vat with us.

As to servicing outside the OPC my concern would be whether the garage actually understands what is required and when and whether a customer will follow the guidelines. After employing their lead tech recently, for the last 10 years, and having access to the correct schedule and additional maintence requirements I cannot find one Indy including ourselves who follows the correct schedule for certain cars. We will do now as we are soon to be released new website matching the way in which Porsche does this.

The reason I mention this is not related to later cars but 964/993/928/968 era. To give some examples a 1990 964 without cat is required to have plugs changed every 12k, yet cat 964 is 24k. Yet everyone I know does this at 24k service which is wrong. As another example tiptronic gearbox fluid is required ever 24000 miles on these cars, yet everyone says different.

The concern would be even if you did get a warranty you are going to be required to follow strictly the maintenance schedule to the letter, whether in or out of the OPC.

Ken

So is anyone willing to admit if they went for this? OPC West London suggested it to me and I must confess that I laughed out loud at the mere suggestion. Swindon OPC said it had been discontinued.

I'm guessing it went down like a lead balloon and has this been canned quietly?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back