Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 for Sale in Scotland - Help needed

Another alternative would be ask the seller if he would be willing to take to car to the Porsche Centre in Aberdeen for an inspection at your expense.

I have done this in the past.

Windy101 said:
Another alternative would be ask the seller if he would be willing to take to car to the Porsche Centre in Aberdeen for an inspection at your expense.

+1

Windy101 said:

Great advice – I have done this on my 996 Turbo and the Porsche Centre have been great in the past, giving you often a scary list but one that you can manage your expectations on correctly.

The 996 C2's I didn't bother having PPI's on have been a painful lesson learned... mainly in the wallet department. 996's can hide issues very well, even though the drive great. So an expert and unbiased eye giving it a thorough once over pays dividends!

Good luck with the search and hope Bonnie Scotland delivers! Would be a lovely excuse to shoot up into the highlands for a shake down!

Mr B

As said there no real options up in this area which is nuts considering the amount of Porsches in the area. Ive seen the add and it appears a very nice car.

There are decent flights to and from Aberdeen airport so if it were me Id just got for that. The car appears to have been looked after in the past and some good service items replaced.

Ask the guy to meet you at the airport and you can drive it back, it will give you a good chance to see what the cars like.

Wouldn't use Bavaria as Ive heard there not that great.

Drove from Teesside to Insch for my turbo, drove it home the same day.

Was very fortunate that the previous owner ran a village garage and had no issues with me poking around under the car on his 4 post lift. :thumbs:

Good luck! Will be a hell of a drive home if you go for it.

Thanks for the sound advice and to those people who have sent me pm's - it's been really helpful. Car was inspected today - more info to follow once I've spoken to the vendor.

eko said:
Any updates?

Intrigued as to how you got on?

The car went into Ricky Gauld's workshop last week and I'm pleased to report that that the verdict was a positive one! I've agreed a price in principle and booked a (one way) flight for this Friday. I've never bought a car in this way so I'm both scared and excited! Assuming I have no major wobble when I finally see the car myself I'm planning on doing the deal and driving it back on Saturday. Its the best part of 500 miles to home so a good way to become acquainted I guess :D

The suggestion to use Ricky was a good one. I feel confident he's given it a thorough going over. Thanks again everyone for the guidance and interest. I'll update you again once I'm in bonnie Scotland 8)

Greggy, you did the right thing, check it then buy it. If your driving back on Friday can I make one suggestion that you must heed! Aberdeen is a massive PITA to drive through at peak times, it can take an hour to get from one side to the other I kid you not it is a nightmare.
One thing the petrol is cheap there, Propeller filling station is Shell and on the road into Aberdeen on the left, I always fill up there.
Hope everything goes well and the car is as you expect, enjoy the drive back.

Good luck with the new car, reminds me of when I flew to Epsom to pick mine up a few years ago, did exactly the same had it checked out first, great run back to Aberdeen.

You should be ok with the traffic this weekend as the kids are on summer holidays, much quieter on the roads this week. Watch out for the safety cameras on the A90 oh and one just after the Shell station.

Enjoy...

:thumbs:

Greggy said:
eko said:
Any updates?

Intrigued as to how you got on?

The car went into Ricky Gauld's workshop last week and I'm pleased to report that that the verdict was a positive one! I've agreed a price in principle and booked a (one way) flight for this Friday. I've never bought a car in this way so I'm both scared and excited! Assuming I have no major wobble when I finally see the car myself I'm planning on doing the deal and driving it back on Saturday. Its the best part of 500 miles to home so a good way to become acquainted I guess :D

The suggestion to use Ricky was a good one. I feel confident he's given it a thorough going over. Thanks again everyone for the guidance and interest. I'll update you again once I'm in bonnie Scotland 8)

That's good to hear, hope all goes well for you :thumbs:

You could drive Dufftown > Craigellachie > Grantown-On-Spey >Aviemore, onto the A9 down to Perth. Fabulous scenery and a great drive (apart from the average speed cams on the A9). Avoids Aberdeen too.

Dave

Scully said:
You could drive Dufftown > Craigellachie > Grantown-On-Spey >Aviemore, onto the A9 down to Perth. Fabulous scenery and a great drive (apart from the average speed cams on the A9). Avoids Aberdeen too.

Dave

:thumb:

Saw the ad for this car and thought it looked great, glad to hear Ricky Gauld thinks it's a goodun. He built the engine in my MG.

Looked a good one.

Another suggestion for avoiding Aberdeen and a nice little drive is if its Huntly then go Alford - Finzean - Cairn O Mount - Fettercairn then onto A90 which is the main road south from Aberdeen.

OR Huntly - Aboyne - Braemar and down the Glenshee road A93 to Blairgowrie then onto Perth. Great road but depends on how quickly you want to get south.

Id avoid A9 due to average cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back