Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

£22995 For a 996 C2

This might get very depressing very quickly though - house prices are heading down already, inflation is rising, and we're still a year and a half away from being ejected from the single market.

Chances are we're going to reset to the prices as they were following the previous crash, but this time round we'll be without the industries that we relied on to pull us back out again.

Still, means that if you are thinking of selling your 996 now is a good time to do so.

Steff said:
I'll start.....
:D
1998 C2 3.4, As it left the factory with M030, LSD, 18" turbo twist hollow spokes, hardback seats, Silver with Black full leather, just rolled over 70k miles.
Bought in Jan 2015, advertised at £10,800, paid £9,800.

That is very very cheap Steff. I don't care about prices and good for anyone who gets a bargain but was that not some sort of trade deal? If not then the seller didn't know what they were selling and you got really lucky.

Actually I've just re-read the date, Jan 2015 is while they were still in their unloved phase so fair enough. Interest started growing throughout '15 with threads popping up all over about finding 996.1 C2s.

I started looking properly in November '15 but had followed prices since selling my GT3 in August '14. I bought in Feb '16.
Mine is almost exactly what you have, a 1998 C2 3.4, Factory M030, LSD, manual, 18" twists, Hardbacks, Black with grey interior 74k when bought, 75.5k now iirc.

I paid £12800 which was top money but after looking at loads I was happy to pay it.
Condition wise it's a lovely car with what I'd deem as acceptable wear and tear. Minor stone chips, very minor creasing to drivers bolster, grey leather on gearknob a tiny bit grubby.
Maintained properly but not over the top, hence I still have a lot of preventative maintenance planned eg rads, condensers, waterpump, LTT,
Flip IMSB seal open, brake pipes whilst box is out, then longer term, suspension refresh with all new arms, top mounts etc. Oh and add Aerokit.

I haven't been able to get started on mine due to other commitments but I've easily spent almost £4K on parts since buying. Once I get into it properly that'll rocket as every job I do brackets and parts will be getting renewed/powder coated along with all new fasteners etc.

So as you say to really maintain these cars costs a lot and that will far exceed any rises for a long time.
Nice to know they are going up but it's irrelevant to most of us.

Also in my experience private buyers become more reluctant once prices get beyond £20k. I don't mean for 996s but 911s in general. I've said this before but a lot of used 911 buyers are scared middle aged men, who expect a brand new car and for you to hold their hand through the whole process.

Rare stuff sells privately as it's usually known within Porsche circles. I mean GT3s etc, not 996 C2s. ;)
My point is dealers can not only charge more, but can sell cars more quickly. So sellers, don't base your private sale price on JZM or 911V as their reputation and back up on offer is where the premium comes in.
Obviously. :grin:

Yeah as you say Marky911 it was back at the start of Jan 15 so more around then at that money. Although even then, a lot of stuff at that money was pretty ropey.

It was more by luck than judgement that I seemed to get in just before the interest in them increased. And also that I got one of the early cars, esp with the LSD. But I'm glad I did, having sold a caterham (with LSD) that I just for hillclimbing and sprints, to buy this, its exactly what I wanted and i have been pretty impressed with it on track.

I've been lucky with my 'toy' cars recently with either not losing money and in a number of cases making a bit. It's never something I'm looking to do but its kind of like getting on the property ladder, in that it means the car fund increases and for someone of pretty normal income I now manage to have a 996 and a 1970 Alfa Guilia in the garage. Happy days...... just need a bigger garage now!

I think another benefit of firming up of values is that owners are prepared to invest in better maintenance. I reckon I've spend £10k on mine since I've had it and there have been no horror stories involved with that, just that I've bought a 911 so I want to know that everything is bob on. The most recent of that was a day at Centre Gravity with Chris going through the suspension with a fine tooth combe.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back