Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT4.3 mod and restoration diary

Good enough (and didn't cost £80)

I have to remind myself this was meant it be the VFM and non-OCD 911

Can't wait any longer (having ordered two months ago and still not here, and reports of pants quality)

So I just painted:

Yes, they won't light up, but I do have ambient lighting and I'm fairly sure I'll be able to find the correct large rocker switch next to the relevant LCD display symbols for temp or fan speed, like those generic physical buttons down the side of satnav screens that do whatever the symbol says on the screen immediately next to it (or if you are using a cash machine, about two-thirds of a button spacing too low and you order a cheque book instead of getting cash out).

hvac1.jpg

Just the bumper grilles and rad/condenser clean now (inc Dinitrol and new manly horn whilst I'm in there)

Attachments

• img_8087_123.jpg
    img_8087_123.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 5,890
  • img_8086_119.jpg
    img_8086_119.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 5,890
Thanks, but on top of the fact I have now painted the originals and am quite happy with result, I am minded to be "once bitten, twice shy" basing my buying decision purely on photos by the seller.

I won't be a guinea pig this time.

GT4 said:
5) PCM button de-gunk

The main PCM dials/buttons for volume and scan/scale etc are rubberised, but over time finger acids etc dissolve the rubber leaving a gluey substance.

Simply pry away (volume just came off with finger pressure, scan button required the assistance of a plastic plectrum to lever off)

IPA was recommended, but it was still hard work.

So I tried some of Alex Yates' patented WD-40 tonic, and it wiped straight off.

I simply cleaned off the excess WD-40 with a baby wipe and popped buttons back on.

Hello GT4 (or Alex)
Want to do this on my CD-R 22 (996) as controls feel a bit sticky ..

Do you know of they simply pull off on this unit the same way as you've described for your 997?
Also, you mention WD-40.. is this just neat of mixed with anything ?
Assume, just spray a little on, leave to soak for a few mins and whipe off??

Thanks guys
Adam :thumb:

Rotary dials just push on (pull off)

Use a credit card or other plastic lever when pulling if it is a bit seized.

WD-40 neat.

Allow time to sink in/soften (you can still agitate, and that would be advantageous, but just be prepared for minimal apparent effect for the first few minute or so, then its starts dissolving/peeling off)

Use an "abrasive" cloth to pull at softening rubber (not literally abrasive, but a rough knit dish cloth or microfibre cloth, rather than a smooth textured cloth)

GT4 said:

WD-40 neat.

Allow time to sink in/soften (you can still agitate, and that would be advantageous, but just be prepared for minimal apparent effect for the first few minute or so, then its starts dissolving/peeling off)

Use an "abrasive" cloth to pull at softening rubber (not literally abrasive, but a rough knit dish cloth or microfibre cloth, rather than a smooth textured cloth)

Thanks GT4, I'll give it a go :thumb:

adamw said:
GT4 said:

WD-40 neat.

Thanks GT4, I'll give it a go :thumb:

Didn't work for me :nooo:
Seems to have taken a layer off the buttons.. now they look horrible :sad:
Any idea where I can get replacement CD-R 22 buttons and cost?
Cheers

Have you got down to smooth solid plastic yet?

The rubber is just a surface finish.

Even if the underlying plastic button is discoloured, just respray with satin black paint or rubberised paint.

GT4 said:
Have you got down to smooth solid plastic yet?

The rubber is just a surface finish.

Even if the underlying plastic button is discoloured, just respray with satin black paint or rubberised paint.

Ended up looking like this :eek:

35F59BCD-76BD-4F48-B346-B20410D37AEE_zpsqjf9pphh.jpg

Did you not take the knobs off to clean?

If you can't renovate, I'd be on the look out here or eBay etc for a replacement HU available due to upgrade (fascia looks a little tired, if you don't mind me saying)

I bought a new looking CDR32 for £100 (had to travel to Norfolk, mind)

.. or a lovely new(er) Becker Nav/MP3/BlueTooth/iPod etc enabled HU

GT4 said:
Did you not take the knobs off to clean?

If you can't renovate, I'd be on the look out here or eBay etc for a replacement HU available due to upgrade (fascia looks a little tired, if you don't mind me saying)

I bought a new looking CDR32 for £100 (had to travel to Norfolk, mind)

.. or a lovely new(er) Becker Nav/MP3/BlueTooth/iPod etc enabled HU

Yep, knobs were taken off
Just seems on this occasion the wd-40 has eaten in to rubber leaving a rough finish.
I'll keep a look out for a replacement HU.
I'd like a Becker GP as loved the one in my last '96 but they're expensive and down on my priority list at the mo.
New buttons are £30-£40 I'm advised. Allot for what they are but the current ones will bug me :grin:

Somewhere under there is a hard plastic molding, it might just be more elbow grease (or dwell time) if the WD-40 started to "etch" it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back