Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911uk Croatian Road Trip 3743 miles in 10 days

Several of the guys who joined me in France last week thought they'd cleaned their cars when they got home but closer inspection revealed bug marks were still there. Clay bars were subsequently mentioned...!

I suppose that's one advantage of me co-piloting in a mates car - no pre or post tour cleaning and polishing needed by me :lol:

Looks like a great trip.

I drove a hertz fiat punto with a knackered wheel bearing all over Croatia in 1997, back then there was tank track damage to the tarmac in the roads, ghost towns and 6 lane motorways ending in gravel tracks where they downed tools.

Back then many Dubrovnik roofs were caved in and the place was shelled. We stayed in B&Bs and one only had power between certain hours of the day.

A lasting memory was being overtaken by a Ferrari 348 spider on a winding road that just seemed incredibly incongruous.

Meant to ask the other day, why has Malcolm got a TV remote? :?

Attachments

• capture_203.png
    capture_203.png
    343.8 KB · Views: 2,561
alex yates said:

Well, to get into France we had to negotiate the channel somehow. :coat:
Or maybe it was to operate my Zimmer frame. :oops:

Either that or it is the unfeasibly large Galaxy +8. :thumb:

:grin: :thumb:

pzero said:
alex yates said:

Sorry Malcolm but that is the worst half-arsed attempt at a joke I have heard on here in ages. Hope you are keeping well and love to catch up soon so you can practice your humour.

MC

MisterCorn said:
pzero said:
alex yates said:

Sorry Malcolm but that is the worst half-arsed attempt at a joke I have heard on here in ages. Hope you are keeping well and love to catch up soon so you can practice your humour.

MC

Can you imagine 10 days of it...

infrasilver said:
MisterCorn said:
pzero said:
alex yates said:

MC

Can you imagine 10 days of it...

Is that why Jackal went home?

MC

Day 7, to Budapest.

Today was mostly going to be Autobahn from Slovenia to Hungary although the first few hours out of Slovenia were some really good roads and they were right on the doorstep of the hotel.

At one of the fuel/coffee stops Chimp complained of earache/deafness from the hotel pool the night before, so as you do a couple of drops of motorway services Olive Oil will help, although RichyD actually filled his ear to the brim. This, for some reason, didn't cure the issue.

Rob popped his 100k mile cherry on the way and stopped of for a couple of pics to mark the occasion at lake Balaton.

Further into the day I managed to get ahead of everyone and realised that Pzero, Chimp and RichyD were coming up behind, I had stopped for a Vignette and fuel but there was also a bridge crossing the Autobahn, I managed to get some video as they passed underneath.

The Hotel we were staying at was a large place covering two buildings linked with an underground tunnel and on an island between where the river splits. It was like a place people went to die although the hotel was fairly grand.

The night was long, the bars and various venues were interesting, as you would expect. Unfortunately I have no pictures, (as I had to delete them before I got home). I think someone does though?

Day 8, to Wildalpen.

This was a good day of driving again, as it should be in Austria, quick stop to set up cameras before the good stuff started.

And at our lodgings.

As this place was dead, they cooked us Pizza (the only thing on the menu) whilst we watched the F1 and drank beer, they then went to bed and we had an honesty bar for the rest of the night.

This, for me, is the absolute essence if what being on this forum is all about. Meeting people and driving the cars.

MC

Totally agreed MC.

We this is the final instalment and it seems to have took as long to update as it did to do the trip.

The last day of decent driving was today, day 9, as we were heading back into Germany through Western Austria.

We did stop off for lunch at one of our usual haunts and this hotel was the winning one from a previous tour and where spent the night out with the staff in the town of Gmunden, there were rumours of children being fathered here.

My Sat Nav had gone haywire when leaving and put me on the back foot and made me pass a Police road check three times which I got stared at intensely by the coppers each time, luckily they didn't pull me over.

I deleted a few way points and this took me on a quicker route that got me ahead of everyone again and I was soon on Rosfeldstrasse which is a favourite road of ours. It is close to Hitlers Eagles Nest.

You do have to watch out for the wildlife when on tour and something as large as a cow can put quite a dent in the front end.

My car had a little bit of altitude sickness on this run, I still haven't got to the bottom of the problem and it only happens when I'm above 1500m, so this is something I can't test at home.

The last night was set to be Munich and we had a hotel right next door to Hofbrauhaus where we started the evening.

A very busy place and plenty of beer and sausage on tap.

This was another long night that went on until daylight, and I don't remember any of it!

The next morning I decided I was going to have a lie-in as I didn't need to be back to the UK too early and everyone else headed off back to the UK. I cruised at around 130mph through Germany with a few 150mph sprints and did 110mph all the way through France, border to border.

I must have collected a couple of thousand flies on this trip....one of my final fuel stops.

Pzero had an issue with tyres on the way back where he lost some strips off them, this limited progress for him.

When I got to the tunnel Rob was just leaving and he showed me a few pics from the nights preceding. :nooo:

In summary, the trip was great as they always are, Croatia is nice and so are the people but I personally probably wouldn't holiday there and the road surface isn't the greatest, they aren't bad but just not the best, apart from the Autobahn's which are great.

We did see too much motorway and next year we agreed to make it a little shorter of miles and days and probably stay somewhere Central Europe again and revisit some of the early tour roads. Austria will probably be on the menu though as it is superb.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back