Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at a 997 turbo tip or manual help please

drabux said:
1. Consider the type of driving you do (town, distance, occasional)
2. Consider the type of driver you are (skill level, desire for driver involvement)
3. Consider real life, accumulated knowledge about both (speed of tiptronic gear change, possible modifications to tip, match of engine characteristics and gearbox, reliability, maintenance, weight penalty of tip etc.

Assuming your type of generalisms may even allow you to choose your next auto or manual like you would new white goods, they'd be hard pressed to define the difference between PDK and Tip, so I still think they are somewhat lacking.

The above list looks more like something from WhatCar, and yeah, you'd narrow your choice down to their top ten Family Estates or top ten City Cars, but you'd still be none the wiser which was top one for YOU without trying.

whilst an outside consideration something to think about would be that in future years will the gap in prices between tip and manuals widen? This might be important to the OP if one of the reasons for going for a 997TT is hoping not to lose too much money when time comes to sell.

At the moment it feels like all 997TT's have climbed in value whether tip or manual with a premium paid for the equivalent manual.

How right you are Black Turbo ! that is precisely what was going through my mind at the moment :thumb:

Yes, no one wants a Tip!*

*OK, technically what the market is saying is fewer people want or value a Tip as highly, and this distinction is expected to grow

That's just about were I've got to GT4 :thumb:

Plenty of good advice here, the only thing I would add is to make sure you buy the right version for you and not the next owner.

I would still go manual after all I read about the pdk yes it's great but I like changing gear myself

m119cars said:
Plenty of good advice here, the only thing I would add is to make sure you buy the right version for you and not the next owner.

This is great advice, but you are probably looking at these because they are considered, free motoring, blah, good investment blah blah..etc

The fact is this...

They are both great, and to be honest you cannot buy anything better for the money whatever you choose. Both are performance bargains and the equivalent performance and Buzz are 4 times the outlay.

Its a special car, a manual is the chess players first move, but that's just me as I have one, I would not be disappointed if I had a tip, for me the engine is more important !!

I'm about to sell my manual 996 turbo and will be buying a 997 turbo. I've decided to go tip this time. Why? I've driven many tracks before and do enjoy spirited driving but on many fast drives in the 996tt I have realised that I'd be quicker and more controlled in a tip.

Few people wish to admit their limitations in this department, but on the road, where unexpected situations (corners, overtaking opportunities etc) arise then it's only the tip that will always put you in the right gear quickly.

I know that the tip will not go up in value like the manual will, but as was said a few posts ago, buy for what you want and not the next owner.

slackster said:
my 2penneth for consideration

1) I hated the Tip for the C2S and Cayman S, so had manuals in both of these.

2) before buying my current car, I tried a gen2 C2S PDK and a scruffy 997TT (manual) before finally trying a Tip 997TT, and it was so much more better than I expected, as others will say - the Tip works far better on the 997TT than it does on the Carrera, I guess it must be the turbos eliminating some of the sluggishness you feel in the NA engine with a Tip box ?.

3) I imagine (since I bought a clean 997TT tip in the end) that if I were a track day hoon and a gifted/skilled driver, that the manual would be the best place to be for maximum enjoyment/interaction.

4) Since I'm not a track day guy and simply enjoy spirited weekend drives from A-B on the twisties (when I can grab the time between family obligations), that I have not lost anything at all by not spending more cash for a manual that I would never likely get that extra perceived raw driving benefit from, I don't feel I've made a compromise or lost anything by buying the Tip.

5) gear changes are not sluggish on a 997TT tip at all, they are fast when you are giving it some and the box has adapted to the current driving style, they are just not as lightning fast as a PDK. The gearbox is also great for pottering around/sitting in motorway traffic which is where most people spend their driving time anyway.

6) If I had the cash to upgrade to a gen2 997TT, whether there was a manual or PDK put in front of me, I'd pick the PDK as the same logic/circumstances for myself would apply,but I'd have a slicker gearbox :)

you'll know what the right choice for you is, once you've tried them all out.

horses for courses....
Agree! 2 Yorkshireman can't be wrong😂😂 I can't see me in any other car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back