Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 neglected, time for some love & maintenance

I was talking to my mate this afternoon and suggesting if I cut any off it'd be the centre of the top lug.

Great minds eh? :grin:

My mate suggested drilling a hole down the centre of each lower lug as well.

I must admit though, I've covered about 100 miles since fitting them and they don't seem anywhere as near harsh as when 1st fit. New back boxes may have also added to the smoothness though.

Car's out of order now until I fit a new window regulator. Back to commuting on me scooter :yawn:

How did you go on in Europe with the mounts Chris?

I found them to be fine with hardly any extra harshness to the car, I like the extra feel through the seat but I did get a vibration on the gearstick only at motorway speeds in 6th about 5 days into the trip which got annoying. I'm not convinced it is the mount yet as it feels like a cable may need adjusting but it would add to the problem with less damping of the gearbox. Autobahn speeds felt more planted than before.
It is staying on the car for the moment.

Ok thanks.

I thought it was time to resurect this thread as I had been too busy in the Summer driving it and it has sat most of the Winter with the occasional weekend drive out. I hope this thread will give me some impetus to get on with it.

I had a list of jobs that I had put on hold due to the first road trip of last year but some jobs still need doing and it is 9 months on since starting this.

Original list, still to be done in Red

Exhaust silencer (and bypass mod) Welded seams
CAT to Silencer clamp sleeves
Oil leak near AOS, (replacing AOS whilst in there)
Gearbox mount poly insert

Brake pipe O/S front
Caliper bleed nipple extraction
Front caliper seal kit.

Bank 1 lambda sensors
Oil/filter service.

Brake bleeding, again.
Clutch bleeding, again.
Creaky clutch slave cylinder.

Coolant weep, cover at rear of engine.
Powder coating underside cross braces. POR15 painted
Drilling disc vents

Added to the list;

New slave cylinder
New release bearing
N/S steering arm, inner and outer

I didn't have any success with greasing the slave cylinder and since wasz' thread it was higlighted that the plunger should have a plastic end piece to stop creaking. My new release bearing I fitted last year is also making a terrible noise so that will need to be replaced, I'm currently parts gathering in readiness.

I will update as I go through the above in the next few weeks and after the 944 has had new rear brakes, the 944 is a priority as it will need to be ready for Oulton Park RS Day on the 9th March.

Subscribed.......again! :)

infrasilver said:
The 944 is a priority as it will need to be ready for Oulton Park RS Day on the 9th March.

:thumb:

Looking forward to it :thumb:

Remember this time last year :grin:

alex yates said:

Should have given myself enough time, this time, to complete and as it only requires rear brakes..... not an engine rebuild. :roll:

Although I do have a newly aquired 944 S2 3.0 engine currently being stripped ready for a rebuild. :lol:

More on that will be in the 944's thread soon.

infrasilver said:
alex yates said:

Although I do have a newly aquired 944 S2 3.0 engine currently being stripped ready for a rebuild. :lol:
Would go nice with a 6 speed 968 Box :thumbs:

:grin: :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back