Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

NICE 4S AT 911 VIRGIN

The c4s at Northway was Cat D, needed brakes suspension, looked like it has been fitted with rear Quarters, front end was good and all original, interior was tired and messed with. it was reduced to under £40k and has now found a happy buyer, who knows what he bought and is delighted.

jonttt, is correct on his views on values, decent turbos are now north of £120k £140+ for proper cars, so 4's will be north of a £100k by year end.

limited build numbers and limited supply on the market, and a huge delta between good or refurbished cars and average ones that might have nice miles on them but are actually money pits.

look back in a few years and these prices we are seeing now will seem like bargains.

Trantorman said:
The c4s at Northway was Cat D, needed brakes suspension, looked like it has been fitted with rear Quarters, front end was good and all original, interior was tired and messed with. it was reduced to under £40k and has now found a happy buyer, who knows what he bought and is delighted.

It was the blue one I meant - £57k?

The cat D I viewed a couple of years back with the owner. Always baffled me how a car can have all its history but no evidence of the repair work 🤔

tyinsky said:
Trantorman said:

It was the blue one I meant - £57k?

The cat D I viewed a couple of years back with the owner. Always baffled me how a car can have all its history but no evidence of the repair work 🤔

Agreed. Prob the state of the car was so mangled that the previous owner decided it would put off any prospective buyers. Best to leave them guessing.
In contrast with restorations it's always good to see detailed pics of the work for added reassurance that the car was properly put back together!

The blue 2S at Northway is still quite steep am sure though it will eventually find a good home.

Yet a BMW used car manager swore on his child's eyes, that there profit margin on a £40k used car is around £1k!

highway said:
Yet a BMW used car manager swore on his child's eyes, that there profit margin on a £40k used car is around £1k!

I used to work at a main dealers in sales for a couple of years, gross profit margin on most of the used stock was about £2k.

After costs most would produce around £1k of net profit, although many would only make 200 -300. I think the most profitable deal I saw was on a £60k RR that we took in px at a very good price, if I remember correctly it made just under £3k net profit.

Big mainstream dealers are probably selling 100 plus cars a month, so an average £1k net profit gives a fairly good return when added to the service and parts income.

oldnbold said:
highway said:

I used to work at a main dealers in sales for a couple of years, gross profit margin on most of the used stock was about £2k.

After costs most would produce around £1k of net profit, although many would only make 200 -300. I think the most profitable deal I saw was on a £60k RR that we took in px at a very good price, if I remember correctly it made just under £3k net profit.

Big mainstream dealers are probably selling 100 plus cars a month, so an average £1k net profit gives a fairly good return when added to the service and parts income.

£1k? No way – if I was running a business that involved buying stock at between £30k and £100k per item and only making a £1k per sale I'd close it down. Financial suicide when you consider stock financing, employees, rent, utility and communications, advertising, prep and warranty work, the occasional big mistake, tax, legal and professional costs, travel to see and get stock... and how long does each car sit around before it sells – some will be days, others months, and the ones that take months may need the price (margin lowering). You'd surely target of 25% on a car where possible and a minimum of 10% to make it profitable?

:nooo:

You didn't read my post fully old chap, I said Mainstream dealer, not prestige. So think Audi/ BMW/VW/JLR etc. :hand:

Also I said £1k nett profit, so after all the expenses you mention have been extracted.

Unfortunately these days you can't just think of a number and put it on the screen, the internet means that unless you are very keenly priced the car won't sell.

I have an ex colleague who now works at a Masarati dealer, I can assure you your notions of a 25% margin are fantasy. Name one major PLC who has a net profit margin of even 15%.

Most of the profit in New and used cars is made on the add ons. The finance, gap Insurance, paint protection, dent and alloy protection etc. These often make the business and the salesman far more than the metal.

The above makes sense......

I've worked in businesses that work on 1-2% margin but make goods profits on volume, volume retail suppliers are a case in point. Its why they are as interested in selling you addons as much as the car itself, there is more profit for them in that.

We have a small business in our group that make a margin of £1k per transaction, it turns over c100 per month = £100,000 per net profit contribution to the group after its own running costs = £1.2M pa.

Net profit AND volume its what important. Its why BMW/Audi are now volume sellers, its all about the volume as they have eroded their own margins, its why you can walk in and get massive discounts on new cars etc......

The internet has changed the world forever ;-)

Ps some sectors work on 20% margin, property being one ;-)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back