Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant temp.

nant

Hi folks, noticed yesterday on a days drive around mid wales that my temp was going up to 98degrees on gauge and fans were running. However when driven hard temp would come down too approx 82 degrees. The car does not overheat and i have a new low t/stat and water pump fitted. So how many fans are fitted because i can only hear 1 in the engine lid and 1 on the n/s/f rad and both appear to run at fast speed . Has anyone done a wiring by-pass so you can turn the fans on manually. Advice please. :?:

There is a fan on each radiator at the front. They should run on low speed with the aircon on and fast when it gets toasty. The low speed mode is done via a resistor which tends to fail. If one side isn't going it is almost certainly this. Around £5 from RS or about 20x as much from OPC. Mine saw 100 degrees recently stuck in traffic and low speed. Both of my fans work.

MC

Cheers Mistercorn, will check out both fan and resistor op then 1st. Long time no speak could still be interested in you know what. Using both headlamps i had off you now and they work bang on, thanks again. :thumb:

nant said:
Cheers Mistercorn, will check out both fan and resistor op then 1st. Long time no speak could still be interested in you know what. Using both headlamps i had off you now and they work bang on, thanks again. :thumb:

No problem. As soon as I sell my C2 it will be available. I am under constant pressure from SWMBO to reduce the car count so you never know, it could be sooner rather than later. I was suprised how hot the C2 ran in the stop/start traffic. Mine has new radiators and coolant as well as a LTT. I tested the engine cover fan and that is all ok. The temperature rises a lot more readily than in my turbo. I saw 103 and was genuinely concerned. Currently in Germany with a 5.6l V8 Mercedes and in 30 degrees ambient the temperature barely moves in crawling traffic.

MC

I agree with MC. I have a 1970 Alfa and the 3.4 996.... and I never thought it would be the Porsche I would be worried about in traffic....

If in a lot of traffic mine will go above 100. At Anglesey last summer I got to 110 on track and that was having had new rads, new coolant, new water pump, LTT, and Revolution confirming that both low and high fans work. I've since fitted a third rad and it seems fine on track and when moving, just doesnt seem to keep cool in traffic.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back