Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Super Low Miles - Servicing

v8fettler

What are your thoughts chaps??

I'm about to go see a 997.2 Turbo that has lived on Guernsey since new, only done 8,000miles (not a lot of road I'm guessing), and as such has only had one service. The Dealer (McLaren) has Porsche dealers in Group, who have said they're happy to service it and they will then consider it back in line with their Manufacturers guidance. The dealer (Jardine) will offer a warranty on it for one year, but then any further it'll have to go through the same hoops as any other non-OPC car and have the 111 inspection, and then I can purchase a warranty.

So, my question is, would you be worried about the engine, having only done 8,000 miles over the last 7 years, but with hardly anyone looking at it in that time? Modern oils don't break down like minerals used to, and that's all the minors usually are. I can't think of anything that would be affected by time, apart from corrosion and UV bleaching, but it's been garaged anyway. I'm guessing it only came out in good weather.

I'm paying more that originally wnated to spend, purely because of the mileage and the perceived comfort of it being a large dealership, with Porsche in the group to give it the nod, and owned by a guy who's now bought a McLaren...

My gut reaction was to jump at it, but rational sense is now asking the questions!

Cheers

i think it is more at risk that the oil has contaminants in and moisture which can cause corrosion. However as long as you get it thoroughly inspected and get something in writing that porsche will accept it back into their warranty scheme you should be ok?

A major service now would probably make it ok for any future warranty and any future buyers.

My biggest hope would be that the car has lived in Guernsey but been used for European Touring holidays. If not I'd avoid a car that's done 8k miles on an island with a 40 mph sped limit.

Good luck :thumb:

Good point but i thought it was 35mph and no wonder there cars are low mileage!

Update:

Turns out it was the Isle of Man, not Guernsey! So worries of a stifled life are quickly evaporating!

I'm thinking of having the 111 & borescope done, just for piece of mind and to show any future owner that it was checked after the long gaps in service.

v8fettler said:
Update:

Turns out it was the Isle of Man, not Guernsey! So worries of a stifled life are quickly evaporating!

I'm thinking of having the 111 & borescope done, just for piece of mind and to show any future owner that it was checked after the long gaps in service.

:thumb: re IoM

The 111 point check is a good idea but you won't need to have a borescope done on a Turbo.

Even if it has done no miles at all it should still technically have seen a dealer/indy every 2 years, so with only one in the book its value ought to be diminished regardless (unless the history is complete then even if they do agree to put a warranty on it after a major/inspection it can't be retailed through a main dealer as I understand things {which will be why it isn't being retailed through their Porsche franchise} and it can never really be legitimately claimed to have a full service history).

That obviously in itself doesn't mean that there is anything to worry about with the car as it sits, but it is just something to consider in the context of its future value.

It's low miles which usually attracts a hefty premium HOWEVER that is when it is also serviced in accordance with manufacturers schedules.

When you come to sell it, you'll be explaining away the service 'gaps' in the first 7yrs and most punters will think twice and be wary. It won't have been enthusiast owned, but someone with a load of dough who fancied a new one and couldn't be bothered to have it serviced because the mileage didn't justify it :roll: Probably used it to nip to/from the shop rather than explore the TT circuit. It probably went through the 'auto car wash' every other week so the seller has probably spent some time getting the swirl marks out.

If it's the right price and you want to keep it a good few years then fair enough but for me there will always be the 'issue' hanging over it that would not justfiy me paying too high a premium over a well serviced well cared for car with full service history.

Ideally it needs to come into OPC warranty and continue up until you sell it with a good period to hand over if not part exchanging :thumb:

If he couldn't be bothered taking it for a service every 2 years, what else hasn't he bothered to do?

Like the others have said, if you get a major service now, the 111 check and the OPC warranty then you will have the comfort of knowing it's a sorted car. Resale will always throw up questions from buyers though and could affect the price so I'd be looking for a decent discount now.

I have a 2007 DB9 on 9k miles. Aston service intervals are every 12 months, despite averaging less than 1k miles per year the worst it has been is a few months late. As mentioned, to get the premium it needs to have a decent history, not services missed by a long way.

MC

Well, I went it view it. Apart from some Stone chips evident on the rear arches, it looks like a new car. It still has the protection tape on the door sills, and the barcode tag on the keys. It's had two new fears, but the fronts were the originals. Loads of tread left, so it's not been pushed too hard, although the tyres have got cracks in because they're so old!

I know what you're saying about servicing. It's not quite the same as a mainland car, it's not a simple affair to get it serviced, there's obviously no OPC on the IOM, so I'm not too surpised he didn't bother. Oils don't degrade like they used to, so what harm will it have by sitting still! The only thing I've seen elsewhere on the forums is the moisture in fuel can cause pitting in the liners on cars which are stood for a long time.

Porsche have said they'll give it the clean bill if they do their checks and the service. I'll get this in writing for any future buyer, but I did contemplate having the borescope done purely so any future owner knows we checked it.

I haven't really paid a premium. £75k, with Porsche major service, 4 new tyres, brakes barely used, and a near mint condition, and two years warranty. They're also going to spray the rear arches where there's some Stone chip marks, hopefully replace the front plastic lower strip, and a few other little cosmetic blemishes.

I've already seen three cars with more mileage on for £80-85k. Granted they do have full Porsche service history, but if Porsche themselves are happy to consider it back in alignment with there servicing, and happy to put that in writing, I don't think it'll have too much of a detrimental effect in 5+ years.

Either way, once a car gets to a certain age, and it's well past any manufacturers guarantee, it comes down to what you see at the time, and what your inspections find. If you trust a cars condition solely on it having full OPC service history, then your leaving yourself open to buy a car which may have been taken in every two years, but it might have run dry of oil several times.

I think the explanation along with the supporting documents (showing Isle of Man ownership) is perfectly justifiable, considering he could driven 20,000 miles in between service, and still got the rubber stamp!

:thumbs:

Now get out there and enjoy it. :thumb:

And remember ....... :useless:

It sounds like a no-brainer to me!

Sounds like you're getting a mint car with OPC warranty so that should give you piece of mind at least. Like you say, if you're planning on keeping her for 5+ years shouldn't be too much of an issue at resale time. As a buyer I'd be more concerned about recent history rather than 7, 8, 10 years ago.

Congratulations. Look forward to seeing the pics!

You've convinced yourself it's the right car for you by turning the negatives into positives so decision made :grin:

Price seem good :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back