Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 vs GTR tuning

Mezgerite

Sp a good friend owns a GTR 650R - sold as 650bhp when run on most gressive map on 102 octane fuel.

This is essentially a "Full bolt on" conversion for the GTR - the turbos are original but everything else is upgraded including the injectors.

I finally managed to get it on my Dyno for some power figures :lol:

We ran the car in different maps, apart from the most aggressive as we were on pump fuel. It made 586bhp peak. Boost peaks at 1.2 bar and drops to 1.1 at 7000rpm.

I've compared it to my own 997.1 The 997 is standard apart from gutted pre cats and GT2/,2 coolers. Interestingly the power figures on the dyno were identical between .1 and .2 coolers. It's only when you are on sustained throttle that the .2 coolers show a gain in power. The 997 is currently running pretty much a identical boost profile to the GTR.

You can see the GTR makes higher peak numbers, which is most likely down to having a slightly larger turbo. I will be interested to see what figures the 997 pulls with a free flowing exhaust.

An important note is that if the GTR is driven hard, e.g. aftere 2 laps of the Nurburing, it is over heating, with engine, gearbox and clutch temps in the red. The 997 on the other hand barely raises an eyebrow, with oil temp staying below 100C. The 997 could be tuned for more boost - but this would only make more power for short periods and no good for Vmax runs.

M

Attachments

• porrsche_gtr_dyno_122.png
    porrsche_gtr_dyno_122.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 3,034
Thanks for posting :) That is interesting that your car does not have a map and still manages to make those figures. Is your car a manual? How evenly are your cars matched on a rolling start?

Sorry if I mislead, it does have a map.

Totally standard it produces 477bhp.

We haven't had any blasts but with the Porsche's less weight we would be pretty equal i imagine - car is a manual.

M

Even though we all like to have pub talk about BHP/0-100 etc figures, I'd rather have half the power and the 911 over the Nissan.

The posh Datsun is already being seen on council estates around the country. They're the natural progression from a Focus ST - RS - GTR! Sweet FA class and the dreams of :cap:

:D

I realise this is a Porsche forum and I get the issue with some of the "posh Nissan's" are going to people who might not be able to run them and stick on some horrible stuff...

I've had a GTR since 2008, it was one of the first in the country besides 2 tuning companies importing 1 each. The tuning pack you describe is now described as 4.25. With a good map it should make 620 to 640 depending on the base car (some years had updates like gas flowed heads and changed throttles to make more)

I drove a 997 turbo at a Nissan press day and my GTR at Silverstone. both a manual and tip. I liked the Porsche so much I now have a Cab i share with my wife.

The stock GTR was quicker on the Silverstone (1/4 that Porsche bit uses) circuit than the 997s as there was 8 pro drivers racing them. The GTR's cooked their brakes on that. I was classed as a insider so I got to watch this...Now everybody changes to different pads and/or fit a later models bigger disks)

I've since driven Silverstone all day and the Ring. I buggered my tyres on the ring but that is more likely my bad driving. It didn't overheat or anything.

So not sure what the tune your mate has but if its well tuned (I have a map done by Iain Litchfield) that tune can make 680bhp but you must limit the torque to 600Lbs or you will bend a rod!

So they are both good cars the Nissan is fatter and easier for me as I know it better than 2 days with a 997 turbo. I enjoy the 997 cab as well

I've owned both cars and it's really down to personal choice.

Both fantastic cars.

Was looking at the new 2017 GTR, won't be getting another one as Im sticking with the Porsche however could livecwith either car.

More tunning choices and upgrades available for the GTR, however that's not my thing as I've got my Superbikes for thrills.

What are the service intervals on GTR's these days?

apollokre1d said:

Every 12 months or 12000 miles

Was every 6 months on the pre 2011 cars

Bikeracer1098 said:
apollokre1d said:

Every 12 months or 12000 miles

Was every 6 months on the pre 2011 cars

Cheers, I have to admit the 6 months on the older cars was enough to put me off. Performance aside I just find them a little too big for our roads so I am not sure i could live with one.

I drove a GTR on track a few weeks ago and found it very quick, but it felt a lot heavier to haul around than my 997.1 Turbo.

GTRs are big and small uk roads are sometimes tight. At least I can see to over take the 997.1 wing mirrors are way to small. I always do 6K miles and change the oil on any sports car. I did a some basic material testing on oils (OK 30 years ago) and old oil is bad. Its always good to get oil up to 100c to burn off the water and crap. If a car sits outside its going to absorb water etc hence change it more often. Any link with the service time and bore scoring?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back