Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Strange resonant hum - HELP!

Have you tried using a stethoscope to pinpoint the location? If you can't get hold of one a length of rubber tubing. If the pitch does not alter with engine rpm but is only present when the engine is running then it must be related to something that remains reasonably constant like fuel pressure, oil pressure and vac system. A p-clip somewhere that has lost it's rubber lining, a pressure relief valve that is not seating, like the fuel pressure regulator and damper.

I have an idear with a similar fault i had a look at recently ..

This is only if the noise is o/s/r though ..

There is an oil pipe and a bracket thats bolted to the bodywork o/s/r .. if you undo the bracket bolts then rev the car and see if it goes .. or just have the car reved whilst you have your hand or a screwdriver to listen there and see if its the same noise .

Its hard to explain but it was a resonance in the engine that caused a vibration here .. a little adjustment on the pipe and the noise stopped .

Demort said:
I have an idear with a similar fault i had a look at recently ..

This is only if the noise is o/s/r though ..

There is an oil pipe and a bracket thats bolted to the bodywork o/s/r .. if you undo the bracket bolts then rev the car and see if it goes .. or just have the car reved whilst you have your hand or a screwdriver to listen there and see if its the same noise .

Its hard to explain but it was a resonance in the engine that caused a vibration here .. a little adjustment on the pipe and the noise stopped .

Thanks Demort, I'll try to test it out tomorrow. Can I access the bracket via the wheel arch ?

Todd.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back