Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project outlaw 944

Kieth,
To me it's a bit like 'Don't put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow'
I would suggest WD40 and a cloth. For the oily bits underneath I use a squirt of brake cleaner and a cloth......

Ian, sorry for the hijack :bye:

Chief, unlike you I can stick to a budget, I calculated two new nipples would push the spend to high!
There was someone in America selling a full steel flared arch kit cut off another 914 for $250 and $100 shipping, seemed like a good deal?

Keith, stop farting about and just reverse into the Tyne, that'll rinse the salt off! I'm sure it'll be fine :thumb:

KP964 said:
Chief said:
Looking good Ian, but couldn't you treat yourself to some new bleed nipples :puh:

Keith,
DO NOT jetwash your engine! PLEASE......they don't like getting real wet.

Any recommendations then Chief ? , I did my red car covering the distributor and air intake blasting low down with the nozzle and it was ok , the thing that worries me is some electrical cables (The sleeves) are open ended and water in them isn't good either !... ive been on a long drive up to Aberdeen and the engine is noticeable salty, the rest of the car has had a major clean just want to sort the engine bay , steam ??? :thumb: sorry for the hijack Ian

Keith - get yourself some spray on degreaser (like autoglym engine cleaner) and some brushes (not your painting ones!) and cloths. It'll do the job :)

Ian - cracking work sorting those jobs. I'm off for a petrol bath myself...

Chris

Good stuff Ian, looking forward to seeing it, 944's Rock, I have had one of some description in my life for the past 20 years :thumb:

Another update, I've been grabbing every spare minuite to either fix something or remove something on the car over the last two weekends.

First thing was to strip out all of this nonsense! Some sort of old alarm.

Then I painted the servo, it was really tatty but cleaned up ok, with it painted I could refit everything, fill with fluid and bleed the brakes. It's good to have brakes, when I put it down the side of the house I keep reaching down the wrong side for the handbrake!

At long last the new Gaz suspension turned up.

Rears are a bit of an improvement!

Fronts are coilovers but they haven't got the brackets for the sensor and brake hose! Not happy about it but looks like I'm going to have to get inventive with the cable ties.

Oh and got a bit bored and stripped everything off it, I have to say it practically fell apart compared to the 928! I bet I got everything off the 944 in one shift, I think the only problem I had was with the retaining screws for the front side lights and indicators.

In the above picture you can see the rot! It's only got issues on this rear quarter, the rest of the car is tottaly as new metal wise!

New metal will be made to repair this.

I have a good rear quarter from a donor car to completely replace this

And this!

I'm not a 100% sure why it's gone so bad around the light? Maybe the light has beeen leaking, it was glued in with really hard sealer of some sort, even the little nut that hold the light in were rusty, other sides perfect. Anyway it'll all be cut out :thumbs:

It's nearly there mechanically, off the top of my head I just need to replace the fuel lines, replace the output drive shaft seals on the gearbox as they both seem to be leaking and change the gear box oil. Mostly cosmetic after that lol.

Sterling work as always Ian :bandit:
My mom had a few of these back in the day and one had the same corrosion as you've seen. I actually remember seeing water moving around in the light cluster. Strange it didn't blow any bulbs :dont know: I think it was down to the foam seal.....
Anyhoo, keep up the good work. I think there are a small group of us here that are keepin the brand alive 8)

There was water in the light actually. I have to add, I've never removed the sun roof from either of the 924 and 944's I've had in the past. Turns out it couldn't be easier! Roll on summer :thumb:

igaffz said:
There was water in the light actually. I have to add, I've never removed the sun roof from either of the 924 and 944's I've had in the past. Turns out it couldn't be easier! Roll on summer :thumb:

I though the summer might have arrived early but the gritters were out tonight , car is coming on Ian :thumb:

Ian, fantastic work as usual....I know where to come when I need some advice, make sure you swot up on the 997.1 handbooks :grin:

Anyway you might be in for a chance at Ed China's job on Wheeler Dealers since I heard he's leaving the show.....

Little update.

Door mouldings removed.

Windscreen has been cut out and is just sitting in place, rust around the screen has been rubbed back and treated with cure rust.
Radio aerial plated and welded up.
Side indicators plated and welded up.

Rear bumper drilled for speed!

:bye:

He seems to be cracking on with yours - shame he didn't want to do mine :? :sad:

Hasn't finished mine yet!

The fact that yours is still there and his attitude to timelines is why I'm out!

Only way to get rid of rust, trade it in or cut it out!

:thumb:

Rust cut out!

Attachments

• 2fc6f498_9195_4fba_ad71_e565b4741ede_893.jpeg
    2fc6f498_9195_4fba_ad71_e565b4741ede_893.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9,286

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V