Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Turbos - Dimensions through the ages.

Jibaro said:
T8 said:
adamw said:
Can someone confirm the definate width of a 996T before I buy one and find it won't fit in my garage :grin:

T8 confirmed 1830 but pistonheads says 1,852 mm and although I realise this is only very fractionally different but wanted to make sure one of these was correct.

I've just re-checked 7 different sources (including The Streather 'Bible' and road tests from 2002-2005) and all quote 1830mm. The only place I can't check now is in the Driver's Manual as I don't have one anymore.

Just checked the manual and it shows the width as 1830mm. I'm not selling but you could always have a look at my one for reference if you wanted, while you're considering whether to get one..

Thanks T8 and Jibaro!

I measured the garage based on the larger 1852 just incase and it seems it would be fine :
EA49FB07-1856-430A-A791-37AECCD2F8DC_zps6hwwqcrs.jpg
:grin:

Cheers Jibaro for the offer of viewing yr car for comparison and I'll let you know if I'd like to take you up on offer but think my mind is pretty much made up
Don't think I'll regret
:grin: :thumb:

I am a die hard fan of Porsche 911 cars, but I never really paid attention to the width of them. Thanks for sharing this info here.

Daft question, but on a turbo, what's the widest bit; the mirrors or those lovely, muscular haunches?

My assumption was always that the mirrors were the widest point and that's where they measure, but I don't know this for a fact.

Diggermeister said:
My assumption was always that the mirrors were the widest point and that's where they measure, but I don't know this for a fact.

I've always assumed that the quoted measurements are excluding the mirrors as surely the mirrors are the same distance apart on a narrow bodied car as they are on a Turbo.

Whether the mirrors stick out wider than the bum :dont know: I'd have to go and look.

EDIT: I have just looked and, as I suspected, the mirrors do stick out slightly beyond the haunches. From the rear it looks close but from the front it's quite clear.

I could fit a 996T in my garage, but even if I could afford one, a 991T won't. Think that says enough.

Curiosity got the better of me and I've just been out to the car with a tape measure. My non-scientific measurements show a width of 1930mm including mirrors. Measuring mine across the rear wheels, it measures 1860mm to the outside of the tyres, my car has 5mm spacers, indicating 1850mm across - but the rear arches are a little wider than the outside face of the wheels & tyres, suggesting maybe 1870mm wide.

Either I have the super-rare extra wide-body option, or my tape measure is broken..or Porsche have been understating the widths of 911 Turbos :D

Anyone else been curious enough to check?

T8 said:
EDIT: I have just looked and, as I suspected, the mirrors do stick out slightly beyond the haunches. From the rear it looks close but from the front it's quite clear.
That's kind of what I'd thought. It's not just Poersche, but I find it baffling that widths of cars exclude mirrors. It;s not like you're going to remove them, or can sensibly even fold then back whilst reversing into/out of a garage.

mr pg said:
I could fit a 996T in my garage, but even if I could afford one, a 991T won't. Think that says enough.
Same here.

Or, looking at it a different way, I can afford a garage, or a 991 turbo, but not both.

Thread resurrected to add the 992 Turbo.

930 Turbo 4290mm long 1775 mm wide
964 Turbo 4275mm long 1775 mm wide
993 Turbo 4291mm long 1775 mm wide
996 Turbo 4435mm long 1830 mm wide
997 Turbo 4450mm long 1852 mm wide
991 Turbo 4506mm long 1880 mm wide
992 Turbo 4535mm long 1900 mm wide

Surprisingly the 992T is only 4" longer and 2.75" wider than a 996T.

As with the 991 it seems that the longer wheelbase makes it look so much bigger.

coming out of a 2015 GTR, the 991.1 Turbo feels tiny
On the road the 4 wheel steering seems to help especially at low speed

I do tend to avoid width restrictions -the thought of scrapping my alloys....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back