Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE help / advice

911DG

Hi All

Loads and loads on here about Gundo hacks and the like but I'd love the ability to turn the Sports exhaust off and on, to keep the neighbors happy, hence the switchable PSE seems the only bet.

What's the best value / way to get a PSE and what's the rough costs for the exhaust and fitting. Happy to go 2nd hand if they can be picked up easily ???

I've had 2 Fab Speed exhausts and believe me they are LOUD. The first 3-4 months before they settle down are almost embarrassing - think Spitfire! However they were much much cheaper than the PSE at the time ...

Cheers in advance

Dan

Hi Dan, probably the cheapest way is to either pick up a set of second hand PSE boxes of eBay and make your own switch (I have a thread on here how to do this), you would also need a vacuum solenoid switch. The other option is to buy a switchable exhaust from the likes of Topgear, this is what I have fitted and they work great. These cost around £850 I think although they sometimes advertise on eBay for less. I picked mine up for £600 with a 'best offer' on ebay! :thumb:

Ahhh nice thanks Rob. The Hacks cost about £300 All in from what I can see and I'm sure they sound ace - it's just the neighbors but I'm sure they'd get used to it :bandit:

the Topgear one you have sounds kinda good. What's the sound like compared to the PSE and I presume you have the same type rocker switch on/off in the dash?

911DG said:
Ahhh nice thanks Rob. The Hacks cost about £300 All in from what I can see and I'm sure they sound ace - it's just the neighbors but I'm sure they'd get used to it :bandit:

the Topgear one you have sounds kinda good. What's the sound like compared to the PSE and I presume you have the same type rocker switch on/off in the dash?

The standard PSE system is controlled via the engine control (ECU) and switches the exhaust to loud or soft on a engine rev-dependent basis when switched ON (this is for noise regulations in Switzerland apparently) so in my view its better to use either a switchable exhaust such as the PSE or Topgear with either:

- a remote which switches the exhaust to loud or quiet irrespective of engine revs (e.g. Topgear or Carnewal unit) or

- a hardwired switch mounted somewhere on the console (again Carnewal do a hardwire kit) or

- use a latched relay and the standard switch panel to switch the exhaust irrespective of engine revs as DucatiRob (997.1) and I (997.2) have done. This has the advantage of looking completely OEM.

Lots of posts on here including here http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116327&highlight=carnewal..which covers the latter approach.

As well as the PSE/Topgear /Gundo hack option, you should also consider the H&S back box bypass which is quieter than the Gundo / PSE route. I have both the PSE and the bypass which is why I decided to retrofit the switch to appease the neighbours :roll:

I think SamUk might still have his Topgear Valvetronics for sale, think he is selling with the Cats!

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=119172

I have the Topgear with sports headers, sound is similar to the standard PSE, maybe a little louder on full chat :D

Dan, as Rob says go for the TOPGEAR they are by far the bast quality and value for money switched off they are a little louder than a stock exhaust switched on they are a bit louder than PSE but add the 200cell cats and loud is a serious fun loud but off is still only a bit louder than stock. they come with a lifetime you own the car warranty , call topgear in Bridport Dorset speak to Alex tell him your from the 911uk forum and you would like a discount and I expect you will get at least 10% off the list price maybe a bit more depends on the exchange rate and what they are paying for raw materials. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Last I heard Sam still had his for sale :thumb:

Wot Phil says :thumb: I think Sam wanted to sell the boxes and cats as a package, he might be pursueded to split tho!

Cheers lads. Issue is right now I've just bought our dream house and my new toy so can't justify 7-800 quid on an exhaust...... well I could but ........

The Gundo Hack sounds 'almost' perfect and 300 quid is very doable (I'm a northerner so like a bargain :)
I may Opt for that but I'll give it a week or two.

I discovered 'Sports' mode this morning - bit more punchy on the Tip shifter but didn't notice much more.

BTW - the car is fkkkking PHENOMINAL ! :thumb: :bandit: :grin: :bye: :thumbs: :eek: Absolutely love it.

Dan

Gundo hack is the way to go. Its not much louder until you hit the higher revs so neighbours shouldn't be too upset. It sound excellent on the Gen 1 cars so could probably be enough for you. There's probably a member near you that would give you a demo, or at one of the meets if you gave a shout out.

Hi Dan, I recently spent the best part of over £5k on upgrades. One was the PSE fitted at OPC. I was kind of hesitant because of some negative reviews on the Internet. However the Tequipment is fantastic on a gen2.

I would recommend the PSE Tequipment everyday of the week. Switch it on and around about 4000RPM is this amazing and unique super car audible sound.

It's a bit over your budget, but keep saving the £'s and you'll be rewarded. I suppose you could try the Porsche specific breakers yard for a set of 3 back boxes and keep it all Pork in case you wanted an Extended Warranty one day?

If you are about in Manchester or Cheshire and want a ride out to hear the factory PSE Tequipment give me a message.

Or if you're a member of PCGB you can probably find us relatively easy at a meeting or drive ride out.

Matt

Some good tips and feedback here gents as always, many thanks.

I'm having a think and would LOVE to listen to a Gundo Hacked version in the flesh before going for it, especially if it sounds like a PSE. Full PSE would be preference of course but £2k for an exhaust - plus fitting... Thats pretty lumpy.

Re the Thread on Fabspeeds, Ive had 2 Fabspeeds and enjoyed them but was seriously challenged for the first few months as they are SOOOOOOO loud until they settle down - at least mine were on my 996's. When i say loud, think Spitfire.

Just joined the PCGB so hopefully i'll meet some of you soon.

Cheers

Dan

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back