Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MaxA's ''Mr White'' long termer

I just dropped off the car at AUH in MotorCity for some fresh brake fluid, new discs all round, Goodridge hoses, and a set of Pagid RS29 pads. I'm really looking forward to the improved bite and feel. :grin:

Sadly though the recent rains have washed away some of the approach roads to the Jebel Jais mountain at Ras al Khaimah, so the weekend plans to have a little hillclimb with a few other keen drivers are scuppered. At least until there's an update on the repairs... :evil:

It turned out that the approach road to Jebel Jais was fine, so we had a nice run with a 996 C2 tip, and a 5.7 Hemi V8 Challenger R/T...

In fact, we had so much fun we did it twice. And then all winced as we looked at the fuel gauges!

Attachments

• img_20170421_112050_208.jpg
    img_20170421_112050_208.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 6,600
Now that the brakes are bedded in, I'm just getting a little bit of squeaking when coming to a halt, but only if brakes aren't hot. It would have helped if Design911 (who have otherwise been very good with my orders to Dubai) could have supplied 4 correct brake discs (and I should have checked all 4 on delivery. Stupid me, I only looked at three of them). I need to get one wrong disc picked up and one replacement despatched before the summer so I can run new discs all round. Fortunately the rear discs still have some life left....

I've ordered a nice package of handling related parts:

H+R springs (for PASM)
RSS Tarmac Series engine mounts
TPC Racing DSC module

And some more boring, wintery parts:
fresh windscreen wipers
rubber mats

And a new monochrome mini Porsche shield for key no. 1 which seems to have gone AWOL :?

I'd like to say that this will get the car to where I want it to be, but I reckon that I'll want some stiffer transmission mounts or bushes, and some adjustable front top mounts to dial in a bit more camber at the front. :dont know:

And in terms of long term plans (ie next winter), I'll need a DEFA engine block heater and some Nokian studded winter tyres.
:grin:

Updated List of Modifications:

Stop

- Brembo (rear) and Pagid (front) 330mm drilled discs
- Pagid RS29 brake pads
- Goodridge brake lines
- Motul RBF600 fluid

Go

- Porsche Tequipment 991.1 paddle shift steering wheel in sea blue
- Hayward & Scott rear centre cross pipes
- K&N air filters
- RSS Tarmac Series engine mounts
- Rennline aluminium pedal set

Corners

- TPC Racing DSC Module
- H+R lowering springs
- 12mm TPI spacers all round
- matt graphite OZ Racing Ultraleggera rims:
- 19x8.5 front with 245/35-19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N2 tyres
- 19x11 rear with 305/30-19 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N2 tyres
- Porsche Competition wheel studs & bolts
- Vorshlag front camber plates (need new perches, so still to be fitted!)
- re-alignment to -1.8F and -1.5R camber

Looks

- 991.1 R-style black and red side stripes
- de-badged rear end, with PORSCHE script in white over the red stripe
- Feynlab ceramic coating (exterior, wheels, calipers and seat backs)
- sticker tuning by Magnus Walker Urban Outlaw & Porsche Club Finland
- de-shark finned
- black and white bonnet badge

Extras

- Porsche outdoor cover
- Porsche roof rails (for Christmas trees!)
- Rennline front tow hitch/GoPro mount
- Porsche rubber mats (anyone need carpet mats?)
- DEFA engine block heater and battery conditioner
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta7 (235 and 295 section) studded winter tyres on the Carrera Sport rims

The One Day Maybe? Wish List

- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2s on 18s
- H+R anti-roll bars with adjustable drop links and poly bushes
- 997 GT3 or RSS split lower control arms (and another re-alignment with -2.5F and -2.0R camber)
- Stiffer transmission bushes
- alumnium underbody plates (becauseFinland)

8)

That's quite a list Max, dare you put a value on it all?

Bonners1 said:
That's quite a list Max, dare you put a value on it all?

Nope. I haven't listed servicing and maintenance either, for peace of mind. Much of this comes from the UK, without VAT, but with shipping and customs duty, which is significantly better than local prices.

And I don't use the OPC. For example, it wanted to charge me 500eur to fit tyres and do a realignment... not buy the tyres, but just to fit them. And do an alignment to "factory settings" which are within quite a wide range. :x

I imagine that this pace will slow down quite a lot when I get back home. :dont know:

Good answer.....how can you put a price on fun and driving thrills! :thumb:

It was the Dubai tax I was worried about, doing all that locally would cost the same as the car cost originally.

I like modifying, enhancing or personalising my cars. It's my hobby. I don't really add up all the costs, but each part should be cost effective. I'm not going to splash 20kUSD on a set of forged rims, for example...

I just picked up the car from AUH. I'd dropped it off to sort out some of the outstanding work, the missing new rear brake discs, studs, and air filters, as well as the new engine mounts.

Reviews

Studs
The black studs and silver nuts look good, but more importantly, make it much easier to swap rims. The car also looks a lot better with the 7mm spacers on the front, as the OZs poked too much with the 12mm TPIs (which are now surplus to requirements).

Mounts
The new RSS Tarmac Series semi solid engine mounts seemed to impress the mechanics at AUH: they do look well made. They definitely control the mass of that big engine back there much better, and there is no more banging over small sharp speed bumps (like the ones we have in the office car park). I imagine the old ones were a bit tired. There is however quite some noticeable vibration at engine idle when in neutral. Once in gear, and once underway, however, there are no vibrations, and it feels good, nicely tied down. :thumb: There also seems to be a little resonance at about 2900-3000rpm but nothing to worry about. It's not like my other car, which shook the rear view mirror so much at one point, you couldn't see out...

I don't mind a little bit of extra NVH but I reckon that some people, especially those who have to sit in traffic a lot on the daily commute, would not want to tolerate it. If so, you might be better off with fresh OEM mounts.

Filters
The K&N filters do seem to 'freely flow', in that there is a fair bit more noise from the engine. If you're worried that your PSE / Gundo / Hayward & Scott / 200 cel cats etc. aren't loud enough, I'd suggest you fit some new BMC or K+N air filters. They definitely add noise. And probably a hp... :grin:

Interesting observations about the engine mounts, I have recently fitted the Rennline semi-solids using the yellow (softest) inserts. I have a little more noise at idle but no extra dicernable vibration, you can definitely feel the engine when driving but it's a nice sensation and not intrusive at all. Might try the harder inserts at some point. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade for the handling alone and makes the car feel like a sports car :thumb:

We're heading back up Jebel Jais tomorrow morning, which is always a test for a fast car, so I'll report back if there are any more observations, or higher rev range resonances.

It's only a shame that there wasn't time to fit the H+R springs, as I wanted to try the car with the lower ride height, but we'll have to wait until the end of August, when I get back.

The car will be going into storage for the next 8 weeks or so, while we are back home in Finland enjoying the air, the lakes, the sauna and some old friends.

Nothing to add to the earlier review on the mounts: the vibration is only when the car is in P or N, but not when you're sitting in D at the lights, foot on the brake. Funny that.

Now that I'm away and the car is in storage, I'm missing it already. Not especially excited about punting the LRD3 with TDV6 around, as it's all sloppy. :evil:

I'm feeling the Porsche itch again. Need to book my flight, pick up the 911 and go for a blast. Then ship it home. And jump on a plane back.

Or preferably ship it to Genoa and then drive it back. It's only 2500km with a couple of ferries.

The only issue (assuming I can sort out Insurance and registration) is that I may need to "winterise" the car (ie new coolant with anti-freeze, proper winter tyres) by the time I get to the Alps...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back