Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A Really Stupid Mistake!!!

HomersSpiceRack

I have done quite a bit of work on the Porsche over the last 5-6 weeks, oils, filters, rocker cover gaskets, ignition leads, etc. Not 5-6 weeks work but I only get an hour here or there.

Had a chance to go for a test run today and all went fine, nice high oil pressure and seemed to be running like the proverbial swiss watch but no reading on the oil gauge.

After much thought I could only conclude that I had messed up the quants when replacing the oil. As the pressure was high and there is only 1.5l between top and bottom reading (IIRC) then a mid point warm and tickover could only be 3/4l short. Maybe I made a mistake.

Got her set up very level and started topping up a little whilst looking through the rear screen at the gauge and feeling proud that I could not get it more spot on when the gauge reached 3 o'clock.

Next thing oil overflowing into engine bay as I had got it right first time but rather than trust myself I was trusting a gauge which had packed up while I was doing the servicing.

I guess as it is the reservoir which is over filled there is no problem but maybe I knocked a wire off when changing the filter under the tank?

I hope so as if it is the sender I am going to have more oil sloshing about when I replace it and if its the gauge I doubt if it is cheap.

A classic car is always attentive to your spannering needs.......

The dashboard oil level gauge is never to be trusted, they are never accurate. You should only ever use the dip stick, with the engine warm and running and on level ground.

It's normally best to leave the engine ticking over for a couple of minutes before you dip the oil.

The lvl sender unit is just a float on a rod which alters a resistance to earth , ive had to bend them in the past to try and get a correct .. ish reading .

Same as a petrol sender unit .

Its in the o/s/r wheel arch at the front and behind the arch liner , drain out the oil before removeing if its full .

The spilt oil in the engine bay will probably go down onto the exhaust so you will get some smokeing from there for a while .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back