Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GEN 2 PDK steering wheel strip

silvermilnec

Albert Park
Happy new year guys!
Mike at Sterling kindly sent me two wheels to try and make one good wheel. Unfortunately only one was MF but wrong colour the other was none MF and the right colour. Anyway I was sat with a mate watching the football yesterday (wives had gone shopping) I mentioned the two wheels saying don't think I can do anything with them, he an engineer and said let's have a look.
2 hours later and all done, see pics hopefully they might help if anyone else needs to do similar 👍
In order this is what we did, well I mean my friend did😂
It was easy enough to take off the front fascia we didn't need with a screwdriver and tapping at each corner, this caused some damage to the fascia but that didn't matter.
We then measured the distances of the pins that keep the fascia in place and make it difficult to remove without damage.
Now to the steering wheel with the MF fascia that I need to get off with no damage.
We took a grinder with a cutting disc and cut through the back of the steering wheel gradually until we exposed the back of the locating pins. When all 6 were exposed we used a punch and hammer to tap them out.
All the pdk and mf controls come off together these are then straightforward to unscrew with a number of small screws.
All I need to do now is decide what colour and finish I get the fascia done at wicked coatings, I'm thinking basalt matt soft touch, suggestion please!!
Hope this helps someone I'd like to think I've helped someone as it's usually one of you guys helping me!!
Just thought of another question, on the MF fascia it has a + and - in white next to the rota wheel do these light up?

Attachments

• img_5171_198.jpg
    img_5171_198.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 3,794
  • img_4962_164.jpg
    img_4962_164.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,776
  • img_5180_150.jpg
    img_5180_150.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,776
  • img_5179_178.jpg
    img_5179_178.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,776
  • img_5178_151.jpg
    img_5178_151.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3,776
  • img_5177_665.jpg
    img_5177_665.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3,776
  • img_5176_910.jpg
    img_5176_910.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3,776
  • img_5175_179.jpg
    img_5175_179.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,776
  • img_5174_174.jpg
    img_5174_174.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 3,776
Great read Chris, Yes monster had told me you would destroy one wheel and one fascia to get one good one of each. but great to see pics of how to do it. :grin: :thumb:
look forward to seeing pics of the bits fitted after wicked coating have painted them . :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
Great read Chris, Yes monster had told me you would destroy one wheel and one fascia to get one good one of each. but great to see pics of how to do it. :grin: :thumb:
look forward to seeing pics of the bits fitted after wicked coating have painted them . :thumb: :grin:
Cheers Phil, what colour do you think and I'm not going bright green :hand:

Just an FYI the white lumps holding it together are 2 pack adhesive , when replacing the front you fill the holes up with it and push the new section on and leave untill it sets .

Its pretty strong stuff though and removal is as you say a bit difficult .. old one is usually destroyed .

Nice write up though :thumb:

Demort said:
Just an FYI the white lumps holding it together are 2 pack adhesive , when replacing the front you fill the holes up with it and push the new section on and leave untill it sets .

Its pretty strong stuff though and removal is as you say a bit difficult .. old one is usually destroyed .

Nice write up though :thumb:
Cheers for the reply, so I can't just push it into place?

Its got to be about 5 years since ive done this but if fitting a new one the support lugs are much smaller than the holes in the wheel .. thats the hole you fill with 2 pack and then assemble .

If i understand it correctly you have removed an old one but it still has the white .. ( dryed glue ) .. Lug for want of a better word .. a white lug that looks like it will fit into the wheel on each fixing ?

If so then you could try and push it back together , it may work but if you look at the shape of the glue and the hole then you will see it spreads out a bit and so might cause problems.

Try it and see .. it it doesnt work then youll need to break off some of the glue on each lug so it fits then just put glue in the holes and assemble.

Hopefully that makes sense , this is one of those easy to show you items but hard to explain here items ! .

Demort said:
Its got to be about 5 years since ive done this but if fitting a new one the support lugs are much smaller than the holes in the wheel .. thats the hole you fill with 2 pack and then assemble .

If i understand it correctly you have removed an old one but it still has the white .. ( dryed glue ) .. Lug for want of a better word .. a white lug that looks like it will fit into the wheel on each fixing ?

If so then you could try and push it back together , it may work but if you look at the shape of the glue and the hole then you will see it spreads out a bit and so might cause problems.

Try it and see .. it it doesnt work then youll need to break off some of the glue on each lug so it fits then just put glue in the holes and assemble.

Hopefully that makes sense , this is one of those easy to show you items but hard to explain here items ! .
No that explains perfectly, cheers your right the white glue is still attached it's like a rubber so I think it will squeeze into the holes on the wheel and be secure, they are like a lug shape, it was good fun seeing how the wheels put together.

yes I added glue to mine as Demort suggests! the old one comes out with adhesive on the lugs which you can break off, I used Araldite on mine!

monster said:
yes I added glue to mine as Demort suggests! the old one comes out with adhesive on the lugs which you can break off, I used Araldite on mine!
Cheers monster think I'll do the same.

much obliged!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back