Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997TT < 996TT

3point6

I sold my 996TT last week, it was a cracking car, manual with under 59k on it, mapped, sports exhaust, what a car, it was my 3rd 996TT in 5 years.

I had my heart set on a 997TT and went to see one today. This particular car was not for me (condition was not good enough) but after a run in it I have decided that the 6T is the car for me.

Inside the 7, I just didn't feel like I was in a 911, too modern, too comfortable, too much leather everywhere, too quiet, too civilised, no drama. The power delivery very different too, too linear. As if it was trying to hide the fact it was a turbo. My 6t boosted at 1.0bar with a hammer in the back, this boosted at the same 1.0bar but did not feel as brutal..ok, mine was mapped, but even before I mapped it it would still boost with a hammer.

My 6t felt more raw, more aggressive, more of a handful, more of a sports car, intimidating. 7 somehow feels like its trying to hide all that and is apologising for being a Turbo by trying to dull all the sensations and this instant spool turbo boost removes the old skool lag-boost. Maybe a driving marvel, maybe too good for it's own good?

I want raw aggression and fear, hammer like boost and a connected exhilarating ride. I am going to buy another 996 Turbo.

(sorry for the inevitable incoming flames.. this is purely my opinion.)

Car ownership is all about personal opinion. You'll get plenty of support from other 996Turbo fans with your post and (as you are already anticipating) some flack from 997Turbo owners.

All I would ask is ........ Did you try the car in 'Sports' mode :?:

I didn't think there was that much difference in 'go' between the standard cars until I did my first spirited drive with the Sport button pressed. All the drama that the 997T lacks against the 996T in normal mode comes flooding in.

I was lucky to have both at the same time for a while and really get what you're saying about the 997T being more civilised but that's only to be expected from a car that is 6 years more evolved.

It wouldn't change a lot of your findings but .... you can map a 997T too.

No flack from me :) I've heard the 996 is a cracking car and seen some amazing looking ones at 9e.

T8 is right it is a personal opinion / choice so go with what you are happy with.

Great post that, I will have a good read next..!

Yes, tried the sports button (for a fraction of a second to check it works) the car lurches forward.. similar experience to the e46 m3 sport button(?), but the test drive was a civilised affair, 3rd and 4th opened a few times was all. I dont like this button thing, either the car has power or not, it should all be there, not selectable. If it's on my ocd will want it off. If its off i'm not getting the full bhoona experience.

I just didn't feel the car. Yes a precision instrument, goes along the road with it's own physics, but you drive a 996t seat of your pants and I prefer that, that's me.

3point6 said:
I sold my 996TT last week, it was a cracking car, manual with under 59k on it, mapped, sports exhaust, what a car, it was my 3rd 996TT in 5 years.

I had my heart set on a 997TT and went to see one today. This particular car was not for me (condition was not good enough) but after a run in it I have decided that the 6T is the car for me.

Inside the 7, I just didn't feel like I was in a 911, too modern, too comfortable, too much leather everywhere, too quiet, too civilised, no drama. The power delivery very different too, too linear. As if it was trying to hide the fact it was a turbo. My 6t boosted at 1.0bar with a hammer in the back, this boosted at the same 1.0bar but did not feel as brutal..ok, mine was mapped, but even before I mapped it it would still boost with a hammer.

My 6t felt more raw, more aggressive, more of a handful, more of a sports car, intimidating. 7 somehow feels like its trying to hide all that and is apologising for being a Turbo by trying to dull all the sensations and this instant spool turbo boost removes the old skool lag-boost. Maybe a driving marvel, maybe too good for it's own good?

I want raw aggression and fear, hammer like boost and a connected exhilarating ride. I am going to buy another 996 Turbo.

(sorry for the inevitable incoming flames.. this is purely my opinion.)

3point6, you are not the first person to say this, even Chris Harris said much the same. I've never driven a 7 turbo but my lightly mapped 6t feels perfect for me, everything you say above tallies with what I feel when driving mine. Interestingly the folks at Center Gravity also reckon that the 996 platform is the better of the two versions.

Good post. Good luck finding another one!

Yeah you won't find many in disagreement on the 996 forum.

I recently drove my friends absolutely lovely, very low mile, standard 997 turbo in my favourite colour. Whilst it was absolutely lovely in many ways it reminded me why I chose the 996 over the 997 when I was looking. I was also pleased that I didn't change to a 997 last year when I had a wobble.

I was impressed by the complete lack of turbo lag and how refined the 997 is in comparison to the 996. I was also very pleased by the increased intelligence of the tip software.

I was left with mixed feelings by the experience though in comparison to my particular car which is relatively heavily modified and set up for me. The steering feel, turn in, noise, power and feel of my personal 996 make it a real weapon and a very personal car.

Its horses for courses really, there will always be those who prefer the newer car, and to a certain extent it is an evolution in lots of little ways over the 996. However its also (for me) a step further away from its roots. The 996 is the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned. The 997 is essentially a heavy facelift.. Maybe the 991 has the significant change that I would need but as I haven't yet had the inclination to drive one I wouldn't know.

Essentially you can't make a bad choice!

My 996TT was also "personalised" and when I buy another I will need to do the same again.. (map, exhaust etc.) only this time I will probably look into an even louder exhaust and a better map with some hardware upgrades this time too. :cop:

Just need to find the car now before the wife finds something else to eat into the pot!

Interesting post 3point6..

I remember when we spoke when I was selling my 993 last year and yr precious 6T looked absolutely lovely.. You must be gutted to have parted ways especially deciding your heart lies with the 6 turbo!

Being new to the 6T I can only really comment on how much I currently love driving mine and I'm sure I'll be able to review further as I've owned it longer.
I've driven my cousins 7T and it felt a very special car but was prior to my purchase so not a direct comparison. I'll try and do this at some time just out of interest but needless to say I'm very satisfied with what I have
:thumb:

As ragpicker has said it would be interesting to see response in 997 forum!! :D

Good luck with the search :grin: :D

adamw said:

:D

Calling Boba Fett

:grin: :starwars:

DynoMike said:
adamw said:

:D

Calling Boba Fett

:grin: :starwars:

:grin: :thumb:

adamw said:
As ragpicker has said it would be interesting to see response in 997 forum!!

Sadly we are all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about which is better out of the 997.2 DFI PDK and the 997.1 mezger manual :)

apollokre1d said:
adamw said:

Sadly we are all too busy arguing amongst ourselves about which is better out of the 997.2 DFI PDK and the 997.1 mezger manual :)

:grin: :thumb:

apollokre1d said:
adamw said:

:floor:

Meanwhile us sixers are just driving our cars and admiring the ever so pretty headlights when washing the mullered flies off :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back