Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project 928.

A few final touches getting the 928 ready for sale. I had a bit of paint reaction on the inner lips of the rear wheel arches. Also after welding a large repair section into the rear quarter there was a small issue with the rear bumper no sitting correctly where it curves around the corner. It's now in high build primer ready for flating back and then Gary will blend the repairs into the existing paint. It will all be sorted by Monday ready for a good clean :)

As you can see he's really happy about it :sad:

:bye:

We've just been camping Ian , just took the beetle but we are off again soon and we are taking both cars this time as I cant fit all the kids and gear in to the beetle , what a shame :grin: ... well done getting the 928 sorted .
May see you on Sunday for the Jim Clark run .

Looking good Ian :). Hopefully it'll be finished on time tomorrow. Ask Garry to fetch his welder to VW Festival ;). Tent checked, cleaned and aired this end

Chris

Hi Ian,

I'll be sorry to see your 928 go but you can be proud of what you've achieved, you've saved it! And some lucky devil is going to get loads of pleasure form your hard graft and attention to detail.

What's next? :wink:

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul, I've got a little red 944 lux I rescued out of a barn between Hexham and keilder, it's been sitting on my drive feeling sorry for itself for months.

The paint is shocking, it looks great in the pic but it's wet, when it's dry it's very pink! And that's the good side :oops:

Well I still have the 928 so I thought I better continue with the improvements!
The cruise control has never worked since I've had the car, to be honest I'm not bothered because I've never wanted to use it but after a bit of research there's a good chance it's the control box behind the centre console. Apparently they suffer badly from dry solders. So today I removed both covers from the sides of the centre console and the shelf in the passenger foot well. I was able to unbolt the box and wiggle it out the side.

Passenger side and shelf.

Managed to wiggle the box out this side and unplug it, the box isn't in the picture but you get the idea.

Shot of the wires going into the fuse box :eek:

I was able to bent the tabs back on the case and pull the internal board out for inspection.

I need to reflow these solders, gulp!

Might make a start with it tonight, I've got nothing to lose as it's never worked anyway so we shall see what happens, I would say I'm sceptical but the car always manages to suprise me.
:thumbs:

Good luck with the soldering Ian.

Just noticed (after all this time) that you might want to stick the number plate up in the 993 section, for one of us BEARDYs! LOL

:floor: :floor:

Yes mate, the car is known as beardy!

Well I'm going to have to buy a good second hand control unit as I've made a right mess of the soldering! If it could have gone wrong it did!
Never mind at least I tried, I've got my eye on some second hand ones so all might not be lost.

For all you lot with the old foam spoilers, this is the best stuff I've used yet to achieve a nice even new finish.

My daughters old bum cream!

She scrubs up well for 35 years old :thumbs:

Finished BOOM.....
Looking spectacular Ian :thumb:

Hi chaps, I haven done any updates for a while. Thought I better start getting my threads up to date!

All the time I've had the car it's had a drone at speed, the faster the speed the louder the drone. It never got worse but really bugged me so I took the gamble it could be the rear wheel bearings. I sourced some replacements from Germany for half the price of uk suppliers.

Needed to get the big guns out to remove the nut so I could remove the rear hub from the drive shaft.

Hub removed, you can see the sir clip holding the bearing in place.

I had to take the hub to a friends garage to use his press to get the bearing out and push the new one in.
This is just a small part of the bearing but you can see how dry and grotty it is.

Got everything put back together with new pagid rear discs and pads.

Luckily the droning noise has now gone! I'm so glad, The noise was really off putting, it felt like it was holding the car back.

Next thing was trying to cure some annoying oil leaks. Unfortunatly this meant removing the timing belt again to get to the crank shaft oil seals and 'o' rings.

Left side cam wheel and housing removed.

And right.

One of the cam wheels, housing and puller.

Old hard and cracked seals and smog pump filter.

Once I'd replaced the seals and put it all back together I replaced the rear cam cover cork gaskets.

To be honest I wasn't happy with the cork so I threw them away and gave it all a good clean then refitted the covers with a bit of gasket silicone and no gasket. I'm happy to say they are both still dry.

Next I wanted to do the front discs and pads. I ordered two new discs from car parts for less but they sent out the wrong ones so I returned them for a refund and red ordered them from the ECP website using there discount code.
Unfortunatly I received these :frustrated:

The grooved one is correct, the drilled one is from a 993 C4! Anyway I've returned it and I'm awaiting the correct one.

I'm off on holiday this week so I took this afternoon off the replace the engine mounts. Good lord what a night mare! Ive managed to get the new mounts bolted to the engine and just need to get everything put back together. Definitely one of the least enjoyable jobs I've done to date!

:thumbs:

Managed to get both engine mounts fitted befor I went on holiday, they had collapsed and someone had jammed two pieces of rubber under the sump and the cross member! I've fitted solid rubber mounts off a Volvo, there a bit taller than the Porsche mounts so the engine sits a bit higher but they seem to work perfectly.
I returned the drilled disc the ECP, and they sent me a replacement, imagine my delight when I opened the box and there'd sent me the same disc back. Anyway got it changed today so all sorted now. When I removed the drivers side disc I realised the front wheel bearing was very noisy so I stripped both sides and fitted new bearings to both sides, then new discs and pads.

Caliper disc and hub removed

New bearings fitted to the hub

And back together

Went for a quick spin tonight, it's amazing the difference new wheel bearings make, it's like having an extra 20bhp!

Raised the ride hight on the coilovers and softened the settings, it was far to hard on bumpy roads, seems to ride a bit softer now, think I'm just going to have to live with it for now.

This is one seriously sorted 928 now, X Pipe next :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back