Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bonnet Strut Replacement

MidWansbeck

For the last couple of years I've been resting the bonnet on my head...on all but very hot days when it stayed up on its own. Changing the struts has been one of those jobs I reckoned I could do but was too easy to put off. Well, last weekend I decided to set to. First job was to remember where I'd stashed the new ones...yup, they've been in a cupboard since ordering from my local OPC about 2 years ago. Found a new set of wipers in the same parcel which was a bonus...

I'd also looked at the forums for some 'how to' ideas and thought it might be interesting to take some pics as it was going along. I also wanted find a method that didn't rely on forcing the struts off their seats by putting a screwdriver down the back and twisting, scratching paint. I think the way I found has worked OK, no scratches and may be of interest to others. So here goes...

As an afterthought, as not included with notes below, the new strut is basically a push-fit. There is no need to move the clip, if Porsche OME it comes pre-greased and and firm finger pressure will push the base end onto the socket. The top bracket is straightforward, a reverse of removal.

Attachments

• strut06_101.jpg
    strut06_101.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 65
  • strut05_141.jpg
    strut05_141.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 65
  • strut04_213.jpg
    strut04_213.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65
  • strut02_484.jpg
    strut02_484.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 66
  • strut03_100.jpg
    strut03_100.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 66
  • strut01_185.jpg
    strut01_185.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 66
Well done chum :thumb: I remember when I did the engine lid with 2 x new ones which were clearly designed for the turbo lid as the thing could flip up on its own :eek:

spot on , thanks for the information , i had the engine lid done recently but will do the front myself . cheers :thumb:

Give it a whirl KP...good to see you coming over the bridge in Morpeth the other day too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back