Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Suspension and power steering

chrism8168

I am a relatively new 911 owner although I have had a 986 for about 3 years.

I've had my 996 3.4 L C4 Cab for a month now and have enjoyed 500 miles of spirited driving. The car is in excellent condition and relatively low mileage for a 2001 at 36k. The previous owner was doing less than 500 mile pa for the last few years of his ownership.

I have however recently noticed that the suspension is quite harsh and I feel every little bump. I have been told that the 996 can be harsh in comparison to the 997 say, but I think it has become worse in the last 200 or so miles. The handling around corners when I'm "enjoying the car" is however OK . I have also noticed that the power steering seems to be gently 'fighting back" sometimes.

I also find that it smells quite hot when I park up after an extended drive (say– my commuting distance of 35 miles) but the temp gauge is rock steady in the middle. I also noted yesterday that whilst the external weather conditions were light rain and temp of c 20 deg C the climate control system was blowing out chilled air from the dash vents and hot air from the screen vents ?? Is this normal ?

Any help / comments on my niggling issues greatly appreciated.

Sounds like your dampers might be a bit tired, from your description, despite the mileage.

Air-con issue seems a little baffling, to be honest.

Best get a good Indy to look at it.

If you bought it from a dealer a month ago, then the answer is very simple:
Take it back and tell him to sort it out from his pocket or warranty.

If you bought privately, then you should just book it at an Indy to diagnose and rectify it out of your own pocket.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back