Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Looking at a 997.1TT tomorrow and need build sheet

I live very close to Porsche Chiswick but I take my Turbo and previous 993 to GT One in Chertsey but RPM did do the PPI for the Turbo. GT One are also busy but may be able to help you in a quicker time once you explain the sale hangs on it.

For the record i would certainly have looked at the RPM turbo too, id like a road car with the PCCb's.

I just hung up with the seller. He is happy to cooperate with any PPI, either Porsche or an Indy. However, he advised he himself had an pre-purchase inspection done to determine what the car needed. He is happy to share the results/report with me. Plus, he said he can get me a full-vehicle one-year warranty (WMS Warranty would be the provider) that can and should provide additional comfort.

I have to say, it sounds like a compelling solution to me since I was thinking of getting a warranty anyway, and this allows me to experience the car for the entire first year care-free (whereas the Porsche warranty wouldn't start until 90 days later).

What say you?

Difficult situation to be in and its a private sale.

Your call how to proceed.

Get your own PPI done. It's just not worth the risk.

cheshire911 said:
In my opinion, I think you are being optimistic. The Turbo is a high maintenance car and was a £100k+ car when new. Things break, things wear, and the bills can be eye-watering expensive. Look up T8's post on his warranty when bought his 997 Turbo.

I don't know the exclusions in an OPC warranty, but as warranty's go, I'd guess its the best out there.

You could set a sum of money aside of course or keep a slush fund of £2k each year. Its your choice at the end of the day. Maybe others who do/do not have an OPC warranty may share their experience two years post purchase of repairs and costs?

I bought my 997.1 turbo from an Indy almost exactly two yeas ago. It came with a years warranty that covered the replacement actuator rods on the turbos that seized after 6months. I've covered 16k miles ( now 70k on the clock) in the last two years which is 10k more than planed as it's only a weekend toy! It's such fun to drive the honeymoon period hasn't ended and any excuse and it's out the garage and on the road!

I didn't renew the warranty, and the only other expense I've had that is not self inflicted to date is replacement of cooing pipework last year circa £1000.

Be warned self inflicted costs can spiral out of control!
Spare set of wheel with winter tyres £2k
Extra sticky pilot sport cup 2 tyres for summer £1k
20mm lower suspension £600
TPC DSC racing module £1k
Full detailing, ceramic coating & ppf £2.5k
Europipe exhaust £3.5k
Front end re-spray £1k

Add in road tax, Insurance and an annual service and some super unleaded and before you know what's happened it's cost you £10k a year.

Good job these things don't depreciate!!!

Just remembered I had 4 of the 8 wheels refurbished, bought 4 wheel spacers and a private number plate that all cost another £2k.

If I also alow the £10k I spend building a garage to put it in, it's been quite expensive.

I take my hat off to anyone that can run one of these on a £2k slush fund! I don't want to put you off, they are awesome and I have absolutely no regrets but best to get in on this well informed.

When I refer to a £2k slush fund this is for items and repairs and consumables that are necessary between annual services. One year it may not be use, another year exceeded. It does not include discretionary spend, Insurance, MOT and Road Tax. It may be used to act on advisories discovered at an annual service.

cheshire911 said:
When I refer to a £2k slush fund this is for items and repairs and consumables that are necessary between annual services. One year it may not be use, another year exceeded. It does not include discretionary spend, Insurance, MOT and Road Tax. It may be used to act on advisories discovered at an annual service.

Understood, and I was not intending to belittle the comment.

I thought it best to demonstrate to a perspective new owner how reliable and relatively maintenance free these 10 year old super cars can be. But that being said, how easy it is to get carried away spending money on them once they get under your skin!

Further to my response regarding all the warranty work I've had done the upside is that, beyond the cost of the warranty, running one of these superb cars can work out tremendously cost effective.

See => 28 months running a 997 Turbo

Just a quick update on this. Let this be a lesson for all! I did end up having a PPI of my own done, and the result was in excess of £8k of items to address :sad: : From the report:

- Turbo actuators are dry, stiff operation could lead to engine damage due to over and/or over boosting. Performance is affected - £1306.80

- Non gen battery fitted. 111 fail - £320.05

- Headlight - washer n/s is leaking uncontrollably 111 fail - £479.20

- Exhaust fixings are corroding. system is held together by the corrosion/rust formed between the flanges. danger of damaging engine or falling off at speed/ exhaust pressure if this continues - £1903.20

-Tandem pump/vacuum pump is corroding. danger of the unit failing and the servo not producing the sufficient aid when braking. safety compromised £1886.40

- O/S/F drag link end has play in the rack side ball joint. not warranty but requires for 111 geometry included in time - £1218.67

- Top strut collars are slightly corroded to be monitored £1,238.4

The question now of course is: what do I do? The Porsche technician told me this is one of the cleanest/best examples he has seen of this vintage, which is reassuring. He said this is all related to wear and tear after 10+ years.

Any thoughts?

Think they have nailed it as wear and tear items and most of what you describe are pretty common your issue would appear to be rectification if you want to put a Porsche warranty

£320 for a battery bonkers

Headlight washer leaking-bumper cover possibly been removed to clean out radiators etc and washer system not connected properly worth checking the connection under the passenger side wheel arc cover

Exhaust fittings that's a cracker many threads on here of the nuts being complete mush as are mine which I am very shortly going to tackle to fit a sports exhaust.

Tandem pump cover corroded again common to all 997 solution is either a new cover or replacement pump sure someone will have a link to the recent thread on here and name of the supplier

draglink-no idea

top collars with corrosion- you will find many of the components on these cars appear to rust very easily.

no huge issues in my view but exspensive if you have to repair in one go to meet the warranty criteria

Gazc2 said:
Think they have nailed it as wear and tear items and most of what you describe are pretty common your issue would appear to be rectification if you want to put a Porsche warranty

£320 for a battery bonkers

Headlight washer leaking-bumper cover possibly been removed to clean out radiators etc and washer system not connected properly worth checking the connection under the passenger side wheel arc cover

Exhaust fittings that's a cracker many threads on here of the nuts being complete mush as are mine which I am very shortly going to tackle to fit a sports exhaust.

Tandem pump cover corroded again common to all 997 solution is either a new cover or replacement pump sure someone will have a link to the recent thread on here and name of the supplier

draglink-no idea

top collars with corrosion- you will find many of the components on these cars appear to rust very easily.

no huge issues in my view but exspensive if you have to repair in one go to meet the warranty criteria

Thanks for your view. Very helpful. I am primarily worried about safety/irreparable damage to the engine/drivetrain. What is the view on the actuators? the seller is telling me this is normal and they will go back to normal once driven more frequently again. True?

My understanding is the actuators on the 997 are less prone to seizing than the 996 (different design)although not unheard off and would have thought a bit lubrication and confirmation they are working properly would be the way forward rather than replacement

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back