Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Cup Steering wheel - assembly?

Yes the casette needs coming off. You also need to remove the plastic surounds. There is a t20 fixing either side that will undo them and allow them to be removed.

Well yesterday I finally got around to completion of this modification. Whilst it looks good (as well as the weight saving :wink: ) the horn is not playing. I have ascertained that the modified connectors are all good as far as the L shaped connector but it don't think it is connecting with the central boss (third picture in my first post - L connector and boss).

Do I need to shave something off from the bottom of the protruding tab on the boss to ensure the L connector touches and completes the connection with it????

Pip :?: :?:

Ps Thank you very much to Pye21 for emailing me some instructions. Gert did not send me anything with the kit although he does normally and did answer my query regarding the earth connection which differs from Pye21's instructions.

Try bending the brass connector back, this is what I had to do.

Brilliant Stuart phase one complete but for some reason I am not getting the earth from/through the steering wheel. I am wondering whether I need to remove the silver shim as the connection is made by the brass wire on the side of the horn button connecting to the boss/shaft.

This is driving me crazy.

Pip

You need the silver shim, it is the fit for the centre button.

Where did you connect the cable from the boss to? The button or the silver ring?

Check the brass wire on the button is seated correctly.

This may seam like a silky comment, but you need the ignition on for the horn to work.

At the moment the silver shim is fitted but it has the earth cable not connected to anything as there is only one connection tab on the horn button. The second tab which is on some (older ?) horns has been made obsolete by the small brass/copper wire that sticks out of the side of the horn this making the earth connection through the steering wheel.

The white connector the live, is then connected straight to the tab on the horn button.

Even if I just put a wire connection from somewhere else around the boss to the protruding wire on the side of the horn I do not get the horn (ooh err....). If I make a hasty connection from the ignition (to act as earth) to that same wire the horn works.

I will try and take a couple of pictures tomorrow.

Pip

Try and rotated the silver section within the fittings so that you get a better contact with the thread of the bolts that clamp the steering wheel on. It may be that your not earthing correctly because the earthing ring isnt contacting anything.

Well I washed the car and went to put her back in the garage and decided to replace all the steering column surrounds. Low and behold bizarrely enough after pressing the horn button it worked. I can only assume that the screws completed the earth in the circuit. No shims were wiggled in the making of this horn sound.

Well happy as Larry.

Special thank to Pye21. :thumb:

Pip :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back