Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The 'What went wrong with your 996 today?" thread

GARY S said:
Panda996, this time last year my 997's air con appeared warmer than usual. Forum members suggested a regass. Wouldn't let Halfords near my P&J so took it to OPC. They diagnosed 2 leaking condensers so my estimated £98 bill turned into £1280!!!.

Gulp!!.... Don't like the sound of that....although I had both condensers replaced by PARR in Sept 2014 (when car was 12 years old) so should hopefully still be ok?! the cost of condensers was £310+Vat for both and the Labour was £207+vat, so sounds like about half what OPC charge
Think I will get it re-gassed first and then see what happens.

Hmm. My twin pack of condensers arrived a few weeks ago for £80 inc postage and I'll be fitting them with my new rads which are £115 per pair. Plus £8 for the pair of new fan resistors I have, then £30 for a re gas.

So £233 for a complete rad and condenser overhaul. It's not a hard job. Hardest part is getting the air out of the cooling system afterwards.

Actually add another few pounds for O rings from opc, so should still be sub £250.

Mine needs air con condensers too (shocker!) - one is leaking and the other one is just totally battered. OPC quoted £1000+ but I'll be buying aftermarket and might even attempt to change them myself... then a regas for £25 and some mesh to help prevent the same fate being bestowed on the new ones.

Can't get the 2 nuts/bolts off the AOS!!! might have to drop the engine!

I saw this thread yesterday & my clutch has gone today! :sad:

Just fitted a new regulator. Noticed all the botch ups previous people have done like not bother replacing screws and bending internal door components when they ram something where it son't go.

Also worth noting - the stop on the regulator was set for a Boxster so window doesn't drop far enough. Took me a while to fathom out.

I'll report back later what's about to go wrong with it tonight. :grin:

centre-console ashtray lid won't close.. :nooo:

Damm it, my car has just forced me to drive really fast....

No issues at present but it wants for nothing!!!

Dammit Alex I've been jinxed by reading this thread.

Car was running perfectly until I read this thread yesterday, now the car feels a little rough and I mean a tiny bit jerkish when moving from standstill. Almost like it's thinking about pulling away before it kicks in. Car stalled for no reason, coinincidence? Maybe but I haven't stalled the car in over a year.

Coil packs and plugs changed about two and half years ago.

Thoughts?

Sounds just like my intermitent lumpy idle problem.

Ursa911 said:
Dammit Alex I've been jinxed by reading this thread.

Car was running perfectly until I read this thread yesterday, now the car feels a little rough and I mean a tiny bit jerkish when moving from standstill. Almost like it's thinking about pulling away before it kicks in. Car stalled for no reason, coinincidence? Maybe but I haven't stalled the car in over a year.

Coil packs and plugs changed about two and half years ago.

Thoughts?
Clean the MAF. :thumb:

Leaking fuel rail!!! Looks like a pig of a job.

Next time your car is on a ramp, check yours. Easily seen from underneath. Front of engine, above coil packs. My RH was visibly leaking.

Your car still looks cool though :thumb:

C11BRA said:
Leaking fuel rail!!! Looks like a pig of a job.

Next time your car is on a ramp, check yours. Easily seen from underneath. Front of engine, above coil packs. My RH was visibly leaking.
B.l.o.o.d.y lovely car! :thumbs:

Thanks guys. :oops:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back