Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bank Holiday Sunday spent in a wheel arch

bodmin

Trainee
What better way to spend Bank Holiday Sunday than cleaning the inside of a 993 wheel arch?

I have followed some previous threads and decided to tackle the offside rear arch this morning. Very satisfying. Even more so if my car wasn't black as it would have been nice to see a body colour emerging from the dirt.

My new 18v Makita Impact wrench made wheel removal a breeze. (I have replaced the alu nuts with steel from Type911 for this express purpose). The cleaning process was a sequence of spray with neat APC, agitate and wait, HP hose off, air dry, spray with Tardis, agitate and wait, HP hose off, repeat alternate APC & Tardis applications. Very pleased with the result. Will do another arch next week.

Learnt a lot about my 993 - didn't even know the oil filter was in there! (I'm more conversant with 3.2 Carreras)

A few pictures and a couple of questions - am I using the correct hole to insert the aluminium jacking block - it looks as it will fit an inboard hole as well as an outboard hole.

Also is the corrosion along the edge of the oil tank any cause for concern?

The workshop

rusty tank

I would think it is just surface rust. I took my tank off last year and treated the rust with fe123 and then painted with por15. The best thing was I discovered some surface rust on inner wing so got that cleaned up and repainted. It is a twat of a job taking the oil pipes out the tank.20 odd years of oxidation made them bloody tight.

Attachments

• picture1_242.jpg
    picture1_242.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,401
Looks great :thumb:

Inboard jacking points at the rear when using a trolley jack, just becareful not to catch the arch liner. Outboard points for the jack. :)

andyp said:
what model of Makita impact wrench is that?

It's a Makita 18v LXT Brushless Impact Wrench DTW 1002. 1600 Nm of nut busting ability.

Probably overkill for wheel nuts - that tool could remove a track from a Challenger Tank.

I wouldn't recommend it for aluminium nuts, but works fine with steel. I use a 120Nm torque stick for make up. No need to crack the nuts before jacking up.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back