Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes and Warranty Renewal

rhino-man

Had a wear warning light yesterday and my car is booked in a few weeks time for a 111 point check for warranty renewal.

I have no issue with replacing discs and pads myself but does the check include the brand of discs and pads, I was thinking of using Brembo's?

I'd be very surprised if you'd get the warranty with non-Porsche items fitted.

T8 said:
I'd be very surprised if you'd get the warranty with non-Porsche items fitted.

How do they know the pads etc aren't original spec if the detail isn't obvious :dont know:

Unless there's a defect in the disc/pad I thought these as consumable items are not warrantied :?:

OP, you could buy the Porsche parts and fit yourself to save the high labour costs

Thanks guys, kinda what I was expecting, think I'll just buy original bits this time and do it myself.

Zingari said:
How do they know the pads etc aren't original spec if the detail isn't obvious :dont know:

Unless there's a defect in the disc/pad I thought these as consumable items are not warrantied :?:

In my experience any non-Porsche items they find on the 111 point check will need to be removed/replaced before a warranty can be applied.

afaik this still applies to consumable items that aren't actually covered by the warranty eg, discs, pads and non N rated tyres.

My experience in extending the warranty on my 997 is that OPC's have us by the B***S. Brake discs are favourite's. We all know that the Porsche discs build up a surface of rust if you don't drive them daily & can get pitting around the rim of the inside of the disc if you are not careful. Wheeler Dealers episode on the Boxster showed that the discs can be redressed with a machine an minimal cost. No, the OPC I dealt with insisted on new discs to the front if I wanted to renew the warranty for year 4 when the car has only covered some 12200 miles & save the inner ring pitting was perfect. Oh of course if you replace the discs you MUST replace the pads as well. Total rip off merchants.

Pads - if they are black, red or yellow then there isn't any way to tell on an inspection so that isn't going to be a problem unless you are throwing endless or Pagid 42s in it. Disks - they certainly can, have and usually do refuse warranty renewals if they don't look like the OE rotors. That said, I also know of a few people with good longstanding relationships with OPCs who have had non-OE disks overlooked thus is is not an absolute. But you should generally expect them to want OE on everything that they can see for a renewal.

Non Porsche brake discs tend to look like non Porsche so easy enough to spot .. pads are a bit different .. im sure i have probably passed many 111 checks over the years with non Porsche in them .. But .. i have also spotted some so it all boils down to how similar they look to OEM .

Biggest fails were always the battery and non N rated tyres .. i never agreed with the battery failure but the mechanics have their rules and i was once told if you pass it when you shouldn,t then you are warrentying it because Porsche wont .

Who makes the OE discs and pads, would I get away with it then?

From a couple of recent threads consensus is that its Sebro discs and Textar pads - at least as far as I know.

Cheers.......Ian

I looked into this subject a year ago and my research left no factual manufacturer for the braking consumables. They're not stamped with the manufacturer's name or logo.

The task of changing the disks, pads & sensors is relatively easy and doesn't require bleeding (just remember to extract some brake fluid from the reservoir before pushing back the pistons in the calipers). It's literally a swap job.

I would stick to the Porsche brand, don't give the warranty / Insurance a reason to deny footing the cost of repairs.

My advice would be to get some prices off the Internet and then take a trip to your local OPC and pull together a sensible price from them. I've certainly noticed the past few years that OPC's are starting to do a lot more negotiating on costs for almost everything. Plus if you buy from a OPC and get them to order the against your chassis number it'll be in your best interest as it's recorded for the life of vehicle.

Good luck :thumb:

MNC911 said:
I would stick to the Porsche brand, don't give the warranty / Insurance a reason to deny footing the cost of repairs.

In this instance it's not a case of denying a claim ...... if non OEM parts are fitted they probably won't allow the warranty to be extended.

I wanted to add to this thread, as despite searching high and low, I could not find any real evidence of which manufacturers Porsche use for their OEM parts, or even what they should look like. Plenty of opinions though... anyway, I thought others might find this useful.

I extended my OPC Warranty recently (997S Gen1) and they had recommended new brake discs and pads all round, a mere £2,215 :eek:

To avoid any possible problems in the future I decided I would have to buy OEM discs from my OPC, which came in at £682... ooof! I have managed to source some OEM rear pads, which were NOS from eBay £49. Now I know what the front pads look like and who made them, I am going to search for a possible replacement of the same brand.

I have added some pics of the new discs and product labels, interestingly they appear to made by Brembo? Or is this just the braking system?

The pads are badge'd as Jurid (as are the rear pads I just bought), I can't say I have heard of them before. Has anyone else heard of Jurid, or who manufactures them, perhaps under license? Has anyone bought them online?

Attachments

• 20170909_122458_149.jpg
    20170909_122458_149.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 6,873
  • 20170909_1732240_696.jpg
    20170909_1732240_696.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 6,874
  • 20170909_121632_513.jpg
    20170909_121632_513.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 6,874
  • 20170909_121621_155.jpg
    20170909_121621_155.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 6,874
Jurid are a quality brand. In the past VW fitted them as oe alongside Pagid.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back